Portable battery pack

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jr866gooner, Apr 15, 2015.

1. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Hello all,

Just bought a battery pack for my phone

Anker 2nd Gen Astro E5 16000mAh 2-Port (3A Output) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D5T3QK4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_AwRlvb1B6EZ8S

Really really impressed with the look and although it's a little bigger than I thought you can't go too wrong for £20 reduced from £90..

I've yet to do a full charge of my iPhone yet but it's seems to charge around 2% per minute (roughly) which will be a big help when out and about or away for a weekend potentially away from a plug socket!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anker must be allowing Amazon to have a mass sale on their products as so much stuff is like 60% plus off normal price!

2. bigdaddy223 macrumors regular

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I have one but it seems every couple of days I have to change the cord to the other usb plug or it won't charge.

4. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

It's not a case. It's a battery pack.

5. dnoph macrumors member

Do you think its a manufacturer defect? Or the cord going bad

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

not sure sometimes I get the this accessory is incompatible sometimes it just does not charge. but it si a apple cable in good shape. guess I will have to switch to another and test it.

7. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I have an Anker Astro 12000mAh battery pack that has 3 ports, one of which is a smart port and I find it really handy to use. I get about a weeks worth of charging my iPhone 6 out of it. Also it charges it much quicker than the apple charger and about the same as my iPad Air 2 charger charges it. The only thing that I don't like about the model I have it that there is no switch to turn it on/off, instead you have to shake it which means that if I'm using it with my wireless charger to charge one of my other phones then I have to unplug the wireless charger when I'm not using it.

8. whatos macrumors 6502a

I have three sizes of Anker battery packs, I carry one or two in my laptop bag every day. The oldest one is just over three years, the newest is almost two years old. I got them all on sale from Amazon.

They're the best accessory I've ever bought. The ports are extremely durable and don't loosen up. They'll deliver exactly what they're supposed to and recharge quite quickly. The best most useful source of power I have.

9. Alan Mac Farlan macrumors regular

Yup ... I hate that as well. I just obtained a Mophie Space Pack and it sucks.

The only way it charges up is the wall plug using the Apple Power pack with their special USB cord. Charging on the iMac it will NOT DO.

From now on, if they do NOT have an Apple Lightening Port for me to jack into I will not purchase it. Mophie has given me that expensive lesson that the headache is not worth the price, it also is not plug and play.

I was "like" Ampaudio for the iPhone, it has a power pack and speakers to enhance the sound from the iPhone, they are 'selling' it now, by taking your money and promise to ship in December some 8 months from now.

I have to wait until it is out for me to find out if it has a Lightening port plug in as that most like will allow me to plug it into my Kenwood for the drive and use my iPhone on the road where it is the most useful.

My AAA insurance app for the iPhone is GREAT !!!

Maps, Hotels, Reservations, Emergency Road Service ... sweet.

:)

10. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

Well Doh! What rate does your iMac charge at? 500mA probably? This is a 16Ah battery, you'll want a 12W charger. A 5W phone charger is OK, but will take ages.

----------

And to the OP, excellent choice in battery pack! I have loads of Anker battery packs, and this model is my best and favourite one.

11. Alan Mac Farlan macrumors regular

Nope it is the charging port I am sorry to say.

Here is a reply from AmpAudio Tech Support as they will not use the Apple Lightening Jack and rather do a Mophie to their product. Apple charges my iPhone on the iMac as fast as the wall plug does ... truth up dude.

:eek::eek::eek:

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
    We took a look at your message (ticket number 7833) and we have a reply for you below.

If you want to add anything else, please write back to us here.

For reference, you wrote:

AMP Suppor
    AMP Support (SoundFocus)
    Apr 18, 22:50

Hello Alan,

Thanks for writing to us. I definitely understand your concerns regarding the charging port. We currently use a micro-usb port for charging like the Mophie case so our solution might not work for you. We will make an announcement should this change in the future.

Cheers,
    Tuyen

abmac
    abmac
    Apr 18, 18:21

Hi guys.

I discovered some disturbing hardware facts with the Mophie Space pack, that is very similar in design and use as your soon to be released AMPaudio pack.

I am interested in the purchase of such a toy ... for the power and the sound quality.

However, what I need to sort out is the Apple Lightening Connector at the bottom of your AMPaudio case ...

or ... do you have a special USB cable port like Mopie has.

If so ... that is going to be very bad and something that will keep me away from the purchase.

I like to use my iPhone on the road, and the Apple USB lightening cable works best of that on the iMac and the Kenwood Stereo for that matter.

The special Mophie USB cable, is not only 4 times slower for data transfer, and only works for plug re-charge from the wall socket, but it is also seen as NO DEVICE by my Kenwood at their USB port in the vehicle.

If it is a Lightening Port connector .. then the Kenwood USB socket would see it as a iPhone for hands free talking .. or an iPod for hands free music.

So, if you care to reply to this ... let me know ... if your AMP audio package is going to have an Apple Lightening Port in there for a compatible Apple USB cable to be used on.

If not ... I do appreciate your honesty and urge you to fix that if you want to make any sales.

As the cautionary word is going on in to the Apple Community now about how Lightening Port on Accessory is mandatory for freedom of use.

Otherwise you are just buying a headache and will soon be throwing it as well as your money away.

My very warmest regards.

Alan Mac Farlane

This email is a service from SoundFocus. Delivered by Zendesk.
    Message-Id:YYYMF37T_553342265a81_70ef3fe6042cd31c107830_sprut

12. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Thanks! At £20 reduced from 90 I couldn't resist, handy charging the phone on the fly whilst say downstairs in the living room and can keep the phone close by.. I had hoped tho i could use it whilst using my gps bike app but Anker themselves don't recommend using the pack in this way.

I've just charged my phone for a second time from around 30-40% to full on this occasion and the battery meter hasn't moved a bit.

This will come in use on weekend trips like stag dos etc. I may have gotten away with the 13000 model but never mind I'm very happy with this so far! Those of you with other brands or even Anker ones please also post pics !

13. Alan Mac Farlan macrumors regular

Well it seems you WANT to trash your iPhone by always taking the protective pack apart for it so you can charge your accessory pack separately from your iPhone ... and for $140 that makes sense to you reduced from $180.

Wait a little longer as the price is going down more in the days to come.

They took your willing ass to the cleaners ... and you happy about it.

Ohhhh - Tayyyyy

:eek::eek::eek:

14. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Trash my phone? At what point did I say I'm taking something apart??

15. Alan Mac Farlan macrumors regular

oh silly me ..

:apple::apple::apple:

16. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Right.... Lol plus I paid just £20 not £90 so saved £70 not sure where you got your numbers?

17. Alan Mac Farlan macrumors regular

oh Gee-zuse ... they really must have to get rid of stock with no customers around ... seems you got a buy spending only $40 bucks instead of $180 bucks.

I would have gotten one at those prices ... especially since it is separate from the iPhone any way and a carry on.

For me .. as long as I have a car power socket (they used to hold electric cigarette lighters in then) I can recharge any USB power port.

Also my car stereo has a USB port .. and the Apple USB cable will charge up the iPhone on the road in that outlet.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Bargain!

Yes I mainly bike to work so keeping this on me is going to be useful, plus I may stay in places with no convenient outlets so very much worth it!