Portable CD/DVD/Blu Ray Choices

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Milfin, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Milfin macrumors regular

I need to order a cd/dvd unit for my rMBP. I was hoping to buy a blue ray portable device that I attach to the rmbp. I know that there is the Apple Route but its CD/DVD only. If anyone has a recommendation please let me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. leenak macrumors 68020

my recommendation is look at Amazon and the ratings on the portable blu rays.

3. Milfin thread starter macrumors regular

thanks but I'm looking for people that have experience with any particular unit not a guide to a site. I asked this question after going to Amazon and finding several models with a mix range of favorable and unfavorable comment.

4. jmthigpen macrumors regular

I ordered this one about a year ago, and it works great! I've played and ripped Bluerays, DVDs, and CDs with my iMac. Have had 0 issues so far. We also just purchased my wife the 2012 MBA, and I can confirm that it works perfectly with just the main USB cord (it includes a backup USB plug for low power USB)

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Ray-USB-External-Player-DVDRW/dp/B001QA2Y9S

Hope that helps

Jimmy

5. leenak macrumors 68020

I spent about 30 minutes doing the same thing and definitely found the same thing, mixed reviews although I'd expect you'd find mixed reviews here. I don't need Blu-ray though so I ended up buying a DVD RW for $30 that had lots of positive reviews from Mac users.