Portable charger / usb-c battery for 15'' 2016 MBP suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milomilkman, Dec 4, 2016.

1. milomilkman macrumors newbie

milomilkman

I bought one of these in anticipation for my 15'' MBP arriving later this week, but I just learned that it does not have a high enough wattage to charge the 15 incher. Does anyone know of any usb-c battery packs that definitely work with it?

2. altaic, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016

altaic macrumors member

I have the same one. You're right that it doesn't have the power output to charge the battery while running the computer at high load. However, it will charge the computer overnight, and it will also slow the battery drain significantly when using the computer, essentially doubling your battery life. Basically, it does the job.

That said, it would be nice to plug it in for a bit and suddenly have a full charge, rather than having the thing hanging there the entire time I'm using the laptop. It's really dumb that no company has made a higher output battery pack-- the 18650 cells in there can put out a ton of juice, but these companies are cheaping out on the silicon.

3. konnyaku macrumors member

I have been looking at this - http://www.omnicharge.co/

The Omnicharge 20 has a 5 volt / 3 amp output (15 watts) on a single USB port which is the highest I've found so far. Not sure if it'll work in practice. But I think the key is getting something with as high of a wattage output as possible.

According to my Coconut battery Mac app, a light-to-standard load (web browsing, a few light programs open, half brightness) makes the 2016 MBP 15 discharge at around 10 W. The key seems to be to find a charger that can output a wattage that matches or exceeds that. But most chargers out there top out at either 5 volts / 2.1 amps (10.5W) or 5 volts / 2.4 amps (12W) which can't keep up with the Mac if it's operating at high loads. But as altaic said, it can slow the battery drain significantly.

4. tjleonard macrumors 6502a

5. fireedo macrumors member

fireedo

I found 60 watt (20 V / 3 A) but the fastest available product will be in June 2017 :) ... here --> Line dock
    and it has active cooling for the MacBook Pro also external storage

6. tjleonard macrumors 6502a

7. sealos macrumors regular

I have this on order and hopefully it will be shipping soon.

I know it would be really convenient to use the USB port, but it also has an AC outlet that will charge up to 65w or 100w depending on the model you get. Should be enough for all your needs no?

Sealos