portable copy stand or ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Macky-Mac, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I'll be taking a trip soon and I'm going to need to photograph some prints and drawings at several locations during my trip. At home I would use a copy stand to do this. Mostly it's an issue of finding a solution for a stable mount for the camera......something that's easily portable as carry-on for the aiplane.....and of course as inexpensive as possible (isn't that what everybody is always looking for? :p)

so any suggestions?

I'll even jury rig something if anybody has any ideas for something

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

A tripod with a center column that can be reversed is probably your best bet. That way you can hang the camera under the tripod. Even better: with an L-bracket, you can even have the camera at a comfortable angle for viewing the LCD on it.

3. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

taking the tripod along is definitely a possible solution, although the one I have is not exactly "carry on" friendly

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

You won't be checking any luggage? I fly frequently and always put my tripod in my checked baggage. So far so good.

5. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

If this trip only involved traveling to the city where I have to do the copy work, then I would simply put the tripod in a bag and check it. Unfortunately this task is at the very end of a longer trip. I hope to minimize the amount of luggage that I have to transfer as I travel thru several cities over a week.

Maybe it'll mean attaching the tripod to the carry-on roller-bag with a bungee cord....or duct tape :D

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

You could mail it to your shoot destination. Or rent one and ship that. You could lose either way, though. If there is a camera shop at the shoot destination city, maybe rent from them?

Dale