Portable DVD player recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dagless, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I sold my Macbook a while ago to fund other gadgets. The thing I miss most is DVD playback. I got 9 days worth of TV/film for christmas and my iMac DVD drive is on its way out (takes up to 60 seconds to either load the disc or, more frequently, reject it).

So I'm looking at the portable DVD player market. Problem is I see too many!

I'd like something slim with a nice display. Region free and HDMI output would be a bonus but not a necessity. Ideally something cheap (no more than £100).

Such a thing exist?

Cheers!

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

when you say portable, are you talking about one with a screen or are you just looking for a small dvd player?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:p (I got nothing as I would watch movies on one of my iOS devices over getting one of these).

B

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

thanks. missed that. i don't know what the UK market is like, but all the portables in the US under $100 are crap. went through a couple of those until we bought a $300 panasonic unit. that was 5 years ago. we now encoded everything for ipad/ipod/iphone, but that dvd player still works fine.

5. Dagless, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

One with a screen yeah.

I have my iPod (2, infact!) but there's no way I'm going to encode and organise so much media content and then sync them over bit by bit (even on a 64gb iPod)... my iMac's DVD drive is already on its way out. I doubt I even have enough HDD space for all that :D.
    I guess I don't mind paying more for quality. I'll probably end up using it as a set-top DVD player down the line.