Portable External for Time Machine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by YahoKa, Jun 7, 2008.

1. YahoKa macrumors newbie

So I'm the (very pleased) owner of a new 15" MBP and 8gb iPod touch. I'm a student in Canada right now, but I will be leaving for graduate school in England come October. I used a desktop throughout my undergrad career, and had multiple hard drives for redundancy.

So this is my first laptop, and I am completely paranoid about a HDD crash, and losing my pictures, music, email, work (!), etc. So I want to get an external drive for time machine, but I will need to bring it with me overseas (low weight for luggage, or if I carry it it has to get through security).

The MBP has a 200GB HDD, and I just want redundancy from time machine, so I'll need a drive that size.

Can anyone recommend something that is suitably portable (and plays well with mac)?

2. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

Western digital mybook 500gb hard drive is good. It also depends how much you want to spend. But most hard drives will work fine. You may want to look into one that is powered by usb so that you dont have to plug it into a power point.

Your mac can reformat an external hard drive so it will work fine with your macbook.

3. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26