Portable External Harddrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lloyd Christmas, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

Hi guys, Happy Holidays to everyone. I was wondering if they make one terabyte portable hard drive with both types of connectors, usb as well as firewire 800. I have searched using mroogle as well as using thegoldenmackids excellent external guide. I want to move all my movies off my mbp and free up some space. I would take any other advice people have or recommendations. It must be portable and as big as possible. Thanks in advance. Lloyd

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

i bought a thermaltake hard drive dock. takes sata hard drives and has a USB connector. they might have a FW version. mine cost $36 and no reason to buy dedicated external hard drives.

3. Buzz Bumble Guest

The latest issue of the UK magazine MacFormat (Issue 215, December 2009) I have has a "Group Test" of six portable hard drives. That's by no means an exhaustive list, but the largest size option for all of the models was 500GB, with the exception of the Seagate FreeAgent Go for Mac which has a 640GB option.

Here's their review ratings (out of five stars) in case it's any help:
    4 stars, Buffalo MiniStatio Lite (USB 2.0)

2.5 stars, Freecom ToughDrive Custom SE (USB 2.0)

3 stars, Iomega eGo Portable Hard Drive (USB 2.0, FireWire 400, FireWire 800)

3 stars, LaCie Little Disk (USB 2.0, FireWire 400)

3.5 stars, Seagate FreeAgent Go for Mac (USB 2.0, FirWire 800)

5 stars, Western Digital My Studio Passport (USB 2.0, FireWire 400, FireWire 800) - Group Test Winner ​

Edit: I've just read the reviews and the introduction does say:
    "On a [UK]pound-per-GB ratio, portable HDDs are by far the cheapest way to carry around large amounts of data, and they're available in sizes of up to 1TB."​
    but none of the six drives they tested have sizes that large listed in the specs table.