Portable GPS + iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Governor, Feb 2, 2009.

1. The Governor macrumors regular

Can anyone recommend a good GPS for a car that works well with the iphone?

2. Nanook macrumors regular

Nanook

Can you be more specific?

Bear in mind that Bluetooth is crippled except for handsfree devices in the iPhone, so getting on line to download traffic info is out, which is something I miss with my TomTom...

3. The Governor thread starter macrumors regular

Dang, a live traffic feed was one of the things I was looking for. So no way to connect to the GPS via bluetooth huh? Not even a jailbroken way?

4. Nanook macrumors regular

Nanook

Directly? Not to my knowledge. I suppose it may be possible to get your laptop on line via PdaNet, then share that WiFi (or USB on a PC) connection via Bluetooth to your GPS. I loved getting traffic info and real-time routing, but that solution sounds like a PITA, even for me. ;)

5. The Governor thread starter macrumors regular

So, the only way to connect to a portable GPS via bluetooth would be to buy a blackberry/smartphone, take out the sim in the iphone, and put into the other smartphone?

I realize it's a round about way, but would work.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

About the only thing that would work between the iPhone and the GPS is the bluetooth for handsfree. Mine pairs up with my Garmin Nuvi 880 and I can make calls by saying the number or by creating a number as a POI and saying the POIs name. I can also answer calls from the Garmin.

That's about all that will work.