Portable Hard Drive won't mount

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yondaime111, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Yondaime111 macrumors newbie

Yondaime111

I have a portable hard drive with two partitions. I plugged in my hard drive this evening and only one partition would mount. I went into Disk Utility to take a look at what was going on. I selected the unmounted partition and clicked the mount button. A warning came up that said "The disk could not be mounted." I went to verify the disk and this is what came up :
    Code:
    [B]Verifying volume “Jeffery”[/B]
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    [COLOR="Red"]Invalid sibling link

The volume Jeffery needs to be repaired.
    [B]Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.[/B][/COLOR]

When I try and repair the disk, it has the same Invalid sibling like message. Could somebody please tell me how to fix this?

2. ACiB708 macrumors regular

It's either because you unplugged it without ejecting first or because your partitioning was done with data already in the drive. Anyway, just use DiskWarrior for OS X. Hopefully you won't lose any data.

3. oojosheoo macrumors member

I had this happen to me today. First things first can you see the drive in disk utility? And is it greyed out?

If so this is what i did. I launched Techtool Pro 5 and did a "Volume ReBuild". After that was done I launched Disk Utility again and did a "Repair Disk". It then completed. Now you should be able to click on the Mount button and it should mount.

Hope this helps.

4. Yondaime111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yondaime111

I can see the drive in disk utility and it is grayed out. If I do a volume rebuild, will it delete any of my files? Also, is there a demo version of it?