Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lemmimac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
Ok , I have a Western Digital Passport portable hard drive. I had it connected to my MacbookPro laptop when my comp froze so i held the power button and did a hard restart. Ever since then my Mac cannot detect this hardrive and it wont mount on my desktop. It also doesn't show up in disc utility. When I go to check Disc Utility for the hardrive it gets stuck on Gathering Disc Information until I unplug the hardrive. When I look at the HD I can see the lights flashing like its loading something and it does this endlessly and nothing ever happens. I have tried this hardrive on another comp and it works perfectly so I think some setting or something messed up when I restarted the comp. Any help would be great. (oh i also tested a 4gig usb stick on the same usb port and it worked so its not a port problem either). I really need to be able to use this h/d on my mac again - plz help!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Try Disk Utility from your install disc. Hold "C" while booting and select Utilities from top bar and then Disk Utility. Then plug in your external and try to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.