Portable HD, 2TB+, drive replacable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by barmann, Oct 24, 2016.

1. barmann macrumors 6502

Could you please recommend an external harddrive, with a capacity of 2TB or more, and powered by the port ( 'portable' ) . So probably that'd be a 2.5 HD with USB 3.0 .

Also, I want to be able to replace the drive , or put it someplace else if just the case breaks, so I'm looking for something that has regular SATA connectors inside, nothing proprietary .
    I ran into this issue several times in the past, when I wanted to replace HDs in portable WD, G-Tech and other cases, but found out they used their own proprietary connectors ...

I used to get drives and cases seperately and roll my own, but right now the deals for a pre built unit seem to be a lot better .

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

3. kschendel macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry too much about reusing the case, it's typically only a small part of the cost. If you dig around on e.g. Newegg you'll find a wide variety of drives and USB enclosures. I don't know that any one brand is significantly better than another; I've used WD, Seagate and HGST with no problems.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

You could buy a "bare drive" and the enclosure of your choice, and then "roll your own".

These days, I'd buy either an HGST or a Toshiba drive.

5. barmann thread starter macrumors 6502