Portable HD for Time Machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnotherFanBoy, Aug 28, 2009.

1. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Hey guys

So I currently have a Lacie "Porsche designed" 320GB external hard drive which I use for Time Machine. The major problem is that it is huge and requires an external power source. Also, the rubber bits on the bottom came off because I have had it for a while and so now whenever Time Machine backs up, you can hear the drive on the table.

I have been thinking about getting a portable drive like a WD Passport Essential because it doesn't need a power source. Does anyone have any experience of these drives with Time Machine or any others to recommend?

Also how much will running the drive when my 13" 2.53 MacBook Pro is on battery power affect the battery life? Secondly, if I have a 250GB internal HD, how big an external drive should I be looking at?

Any suggestions and opinions are appreciated. Thanks

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I use any 2.5" SATA disk with an enclosure. If you go that route, you can always pop it in your notebook if you really had to.

The enclosures can be had on ebay for <$10. I use a 500GB WD Scorpio Blue.

3. AnotherFanBoy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. Slightly off the topic, I want to upgrade my internal to roughly 500 too. Is the Scorpio Blue a good drive for this?

Thanks

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It's a great drive for an upgrade. I was using it without noise/vibration and it's pretty quick too. Replaced it with an Intel X25 so now it's an external TM drive.

5. AnotherFanBoy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I found it in the UK for like £65 which seems like a good deal.

6. AnotherFanBoy thread starter macrumors regular

Another question for you NC Macguy or anyone else, does the scorpio blue affect the battery life of the 13" MBP 2.53?

Thanks

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Buy a WD Passport Essential 500GB, pop it open and you'll find a WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB, install that one in your machine and put the old one in the WD Passport Enclosure.

Done this twice (with own computer) and my sisters.
    Working great and it's a cheap solution to get both an external HD for backup and upgrading the internal!

Opening the WD is very easy, just pry it open with a guitar pick (or something else plastic) and you have the HD out in less than a minute!

8. AnotherFanBoy thread starter macrumors regular

is it definitely a scorpio blue?