Portable HD reformat

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AFPoster, Mar 29, 2010.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I bought a new WD portable HD and when I plug it into my MacBook Air it won't allow me to put anything on it. My friend mentioned I need to go to Disk Utility and format it properly. Does anyone know the correct steps so it works every time?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

I have Disk Utility up but what do I click from there? I clicked on the HD but do I partition or what?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Depends whether you want a partition, or not. There's no real need to, but it's a personal choice.

5. Quint macrumors member

You have to have at least one partition on a disk to make it usable. Click on the Partition tab in Disk Utility. Near the bottom you should see a button labeled Options. Click that and choose GUID.
    Save that setting and Type in a name for the new disk. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the Format and click Apply (Warning: This will erase any data on the drive.)

If you want more than one Partition on the drive, (each partition will appear as a separate drive to the OS) change the volume scheme to your desired setup.

6. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I have a Seagate that has 2 partitions, one is NTFS and the other is GUID; works great.