Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bowcaps

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Cornwall, UK
I'm looking at a portable Hard Drive to carry some of the large files from my iMac with me on trips away to use on my MBA [there will be NO WiFi where I am going].

I was looking at the Transcend TS1TSJ25M3 [it's fairly rugged for my needs], however there are a number of conflicting reports that USB3 does not work with Mac OS on this drive.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit?

TIA :confused:

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I dont know about that particular unit, but ive just ordered my second Western Digital My Passport 1TB USB3 unit from Amazon for £67.

Ive read on here that if you connect a USB2 device to into your computers USB port, then remove it and replace with a USB3 device, your Apple computer will only transfer at USB2 speeds (as this was the first unit used). If you switch your computer off & then back on again, then connect your USB3 device first, then it will be configured to USB3 speeds.

So, whichever USB device you connect to your computer first, is the one that gets configured with your computer, until its switched off and back on again.

Bowcaps

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Cornwall, UK
I dont know about that particular unit, but ive just ordered my second Western Digital My Passport 1TB USB3 unit from Amazon for £67.

Ive read on here that if you connect a USB2 device to into your computers USB port, then remove it and replace with a USB3 device, your Apple computer will only transfer at USB2 speeds (as this was the first unit used). If you switch your computer off & then back on again, then connect your USB3 device first, then it will be configured to USB3 speeds.

So, whichever USB device you connect to your computer first, is the one that gets configured with your computer, until its switched off and back on again.

Big Stevie, that's really helpful advice, i was not aware of this peculiarity - thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.