Portable iPhone 4 Speakers

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iMacBoy, Mar 5, 2011.

1. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

Does anyone know of any speakers that you use via the headphone jack on the iPhone 4, and will basically work as headphones but make the audio loud so me and all my mates can hear it?

And how do they work, do you need to charge them or batteries or what?

Cheers.

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

3. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a little bit too pricey i think.

Thanks anyway.

4. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

5. thereur macrumors member

6. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I have a pair of Razer Ferox
    They are portable gaming speakers technically, but will work for the iPhone 4 regardless.
    Very loud, omni-directional so it will sound the same despite where you place them. One full USB charge will play for ~12 hours.
    Looks awesome too :D

7. Anon155 macrumors newbie

Anon155

Im a college student, and I travel a lot. So I wanted a portable speaker set that was not only cheap, but still had a good sound. And Origaudio.com speakers gave me both. I have 3 sets of their portable speakers. And i have to say, for most of their units (which are all mainly under 30 us dollars) they have great sound. And the best part, they keep coming out with new ideas/designs every couple months. When I bought my first ones, they had only one design. Now they have 5 or 6 I believe. Some need batteries and others just use the 3.5 mm jack. The sound quality is better with the battery powered ones, it just gives a little extra oomph to the speakers, and doesn't drain your ipod/iphone battery.

I use mine all the time (probably almost everyday), and i love them. So if you're on a budget, I would definitely check their site out, and watch a couple of their demonstration vids. I think you'll see what i mean lol.

8. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

if I had money, I would like to have a jambox by jawbone: bluetooth, act as a speakerphone too, small, amazing battery life (according to the reviews).
    It's a pity that it's so pricy (200$)! for 80-100 $ less, it'd be a huge hit

9. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

+1 on the Ferox recommendation.

Last night I hooked up my MBP to my TV and watched Tangled (PS3 won't play MKV and I can't be bothered to convert). Plugged in the Ferox and the sound was pretty impressive for the size of the things.

As ctbear mentioned it's omnidirectional so when sitting at the couch the audio sounded very close as opposed to the distant sound you feel from standard speakers.

What makes it awesome is that it charges via USB and doesn't have any AC Power requirement. Just plug straight into the headphone jack and go; it looks pretty cool too.

10. testcard, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Well, I'm probably going to be flamed out of existence for this, but I bought one of these for use with my iPad and MacBook

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001UEBN42/ref=oss_product

It's only mono, but the sound quality is pretty damn good for something so small and portable, and the correct splitter lead would provide stereo with two speakers.

11. eclone macrumors newbie

I got this same speaker free when I purchased my iphone. Great little speaker. It's VERY portable; about half the size of a tennis ball and it's pretty loud, clear and pounds for its size.

12. danrel macrumors member

danrel

I just picked up the red Jambox earlier this week as an early birthday present to myself and couldn't be happier. They are expensive, yes but I truly believe that this is a case of you really getting what you pay for. The Jambox is tiny(a little smaller than two Wii controllers stacked on top of each other) but they put out an extremely impressive amount of clear sound with great bass response.

That being said, I've noticed that they don't particularly play well with Bluetooth in actually computers(Macs or Windows PC's). I can't really blame that on the people at Jawbone though as it connects seamlessly every time to my iPhone and/or iPad. Hopefully thatll be addressed in a firmware update. And you can connect up to two devices at a time so for instance, I could be using it for gaming on the iPad, get a call on my iPhone and pick up the call simply by pressing one button on the top of the unit. Then it's instantly a conference-call loudspeaker :)

Also, you can connect it to your computer via USB and get uptodate firmware upgrades and even different voice dialing apps. All in all it's quite an impressive and versatile device.

Highly recommended if you're willing to drop the coin.

13. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Expensive, yes, but great sound quality from such a small device.

14. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for something as well that I can use with my iPad/ iPhone when traveling and in house/ hotel room etc.

15. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Check out our Gadget Hub for a few good ideas to help you out :)

16. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I'm actually selling my Razer Ferox. PM me if anyone's interested :)

17. maliu macrumors 6502a

iHome 79

I love these little speakers. Cost $49.99. Use one or two. Charge lasts a long time and the sound is good. I bought a single mini USB audio cable for when I want to use only one. The oem cable is bulky and connect both speakers as well as charges by USB. I got them because they were light and easy to carry.

18. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Foxl v2 Bluetooth

I purchased these from Soundmatters.com. Google it and read the reviews. I think they will be very high quality. Cost is $199, but you get what you pay for.

Foxl v2 BT

19. ZipZap macrumors 601

Have not seen these resonance speakers in a while. Last ones I saw worked best on glass..

Have not idea how good they sound. Dont really need the light part.

Make sure you can return them,

20. FooDog11 macrumors newbie

Monster iClarity HD

I'm really liking the Monster iClarity HD: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MBL-C...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303790862&sr=8-1. At $99, I figured it was a compromise between the cheapy little speakers and something like the Jambox.

I'm not an audiophile, but it sounds great to me and gets more than loud enough to fill my bedroom or kitchen. The bluetooth connection works well and is really convenient, but you can also connect via headset jack.

Very portable, too. And the shape + little rubber feet help it sit stably on the dash of my car, where I've been using it a lot.

ETA: Looks like it's now $71 on Amazon.

21. bestace macrumors member

22. himesh macrumors regular

How about these?

Horn Stand
    MBS-200

I have this, the Parrot Party, is loud enough and very portable, works with bluetooth and 3.5mm jack and was cheap when I got it.
    Parrot Party