portable keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by flutieflakes01, Dec 18, 2009.

1. flutieflakes01 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking for a fold up keyboard for my iphone so that I can type notes in class. I don't care if it is bluetooth or not bluetooth...actually, I don't think iphone OS 3.0 currently supports a bluetooth keyboard, so I am looking for any type of portable keyboard that could plug into the iphone....I have an otterbox defender case on my phone, so I wouldn't be able to dock it on the keyboard...it would just have to have a cord that could plug into the bottom of the phone.

About 6 years ago I noticed a fella in class with some sort of palm pda with a portable keyboard...he was typing away...I know this technology must exist somewhere for iphone if it existed for the palm pilot years ago!

Thanks for all your help! I was considering buying a livescribe pen, but I would prefer to type my notes in class and not lug around my macbook to do so!

2. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I don't know of any external keyboard for the iPhone.

You could always get a cheap netbook, which I think would be a lot better for taking notes in class than doing it on the iPhone anyway with or without an external keyboard. Plus I would imagine an external keyboard for the iPhone would be pricey too.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The only way it could work (without jailbraking) would be for it to use the AccessoryKit framework which would limit it to working with apps specifically designed for it...

4. JH- macrumors 6502

So what is the solution if you are jailbroken?

5. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

6. flutieflakes01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Thanks so much. Yeah, most portable keyboards are $100 or more. A netbook would work...any clues on where to find the cheapest netbooks? Another option would be the livescribe pen to take notes...that thing is so neat...anyone have any experience with it?