Portable office

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jimbo110, Apr 24, 2007.

1. jimbo110 macrumors member

I'm working from home on my iMac 24". And I love it.

I own a Dell laptop but think it's a little heavy and complicated to get to the internet. When traveling and I often leave it at home.

Is it true if I buy a macbook or macbook pro I can sync my primary workstation (iMac) with a macbook/macbook pro?

I'am considering buying a laptop or maybe iphone. Since I would be great to connect to my e-mail account when traveling and do some work.

Lately I meet a girlfriend and when visiting her I have to borrow her PC. It's not easy to get something done when I don't have access to my other stuff.

What would you recommend as my portable companion? I have been considering a macbook or 15" macbook pro. Should I wait for something new to come? Maybe a smaller macbook pro? Hope anyone can help me getting on the right track.

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Macbook should probably suffice unless you need the power that the Pro includes. What will you use it for other than synching? Any design or film/photography application use?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are some different options you can look at for synchronizing. They range from the very basic -- throw all your files on a USB drive -- to more sophisticated things. One of the newest and most sophisticated options seems to be this -- I've used their software, but not this app:

http://www.markspace.com/synctogether.php

4. jimbo110 thread starter macrumors member

I maybe going to use it for designing in photoshop and dreamweaver.

5. jimbo110 thread starter macrumors member

Can't .mac sync contents?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, for the most part. There are a few things that these solutions do that .Mac does not. But if you're buying .Mac, you probably don't need this.

7. jimbo110 thread starter macrumors member

I bought .mac with my iMac but have not used it yet. I'll have a look at http://www.markspace.com/synctogether.php

maybe i can use it. Thanks for great advice:)