Portable Power Adapter for the 15" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhyzome, Apr 29, 2015.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

Anyone know whether a (third-party) portable/slimmed down power adapter exists for the rMBP 15"?

I just love the portable charger for the new rMB...I feel like my rMBP 15" is so left behind the times. I know Finsix was working on one but as far as I know they dropped compatibility with the 15" models in favor of the 13" (when we 15"ers were the people who really needed a portable charger most!).

Anyone know if something like this exists?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or power adapter, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Apple has not licensed it's MagSafe adapter technology to any other company. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries or adapters have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. It's not worth it to risk your $2000 MacBook on a non-Apple battery or power adapter, just to save a few bucks.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. mcarling macrumors 65816

When I travel with my 15" rMBP, I use a 45W MBA adaptor. It works fine, though charging is slower.

4. rhyzome thread starter macrumors regular

A good link, GGJ--thanks.

And that's an interesting idea mcarling.

Would the cautious GGJstudios use an Apple-made _MacBook Air adaptor with an rMBP 15"?

Could the lower wattage of the adaptor somehow cause damage to the battery or other part of the system over time?

5. mcarling macrumors 65816

No. Quite the opposite. It is better to charge lithium batteries slowly.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, as stated in the links I provided, you can use a lower wattage adapter, but it will take longer to charge. You can also use a higher wattage adapter, such as from the rMBP 15" on the MBA, without any problems.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

The power supply is just what its name says: a power supply. Think of it as a well. The computer's charging circuit is the one that decides how much to draw at any one time.

You can use a MBA charger with no issues.