portable power banks and iPod Classics

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ambientdaw, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ambientdaw macrumors member

ambientdaw

I am looking to get an external charger for my iPod Classic. It seems the newest ones specifically do NOT work with iPods. This for example https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M30B4IW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&psc=1

Does anyone have and use one that works? I am needing to be setup for emergencies where there is no electricity. I want to pair a power bank with a solar charger like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012YUJJM8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&psc=1

thoughts?

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I have an Anker power bank that I bought last year, it works just fine with my Classic but you have to push the power indicator button on it to get it charging.

3. ambientdaw thread starter macrumors member

ambientdaw

thanks! I will try to find what last years' model was...

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

5. butterburger cookybutter macrumors member

butterburger cookybutter

Every iPod contains a battery charger circuit. You are looking for a power supply, or "power bank".

Better said: 'Anker Astro E7 does not work with ANY sensible consumer of bus power.'; rather than "specifically not iPod". Look at this nonsense which Anker blows:

Why is that Anker Ultra-High Capacity Power Bank not compatible with iPod? I suspect: because its target consumer is a power gobbler, and it automatically shuts-off after a short duration of perceived inactivity. Probably: its incompatibility has nothing to do with GPS & Bluetooth (iPhones are GPS and Bluetooth devices!), and it has nothing to do with iPod.

Modern featurephones are power gobblers: they contain batteries more capacious than an iPod battery, and they draw more power through a USB cable than do iPods. A modern featurephone might draw constant two amperes of current lasting a couple hours, then reduce to steady 100 mA while idle, after its battery is charged. Contrast this with my iPod, which draws a high of 600–800 mA when it spins-up its hard disc, but otherwise draws around 250 mA while charging. (Mine is a thin model; I expect a thicker iPod, holding bigger battery, to suck more power.) Anker Astro E7 is designed to supply up to three ampere (nominal 15 watt!) through a single receptacle. My iPod sucks one tenth that much, as it charges its battery.

If my guess is correct (Anker claims incompatibility due to chosen threshold/margin too high for iPod), then it might work with your iPod only during short sessions: it might supply power to your iPod lasting one or two minutes, then it times-out, goes to sleep. You would need to repeatedly wake Anker bank, and your iPod would eventually fully charge its battery, after one or two hundred sessions. It might stay awake if other things are simultaneously connected: a "USB reading light", or Bluetooth headset, or a cellphone, et cetera examples.

"I can't stand it. I've gone stand-by. iPod's draw is too petty! I'm an ANKER BANK!! I won't power iPod! I'm a JERK!!!"

6. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Hmm, I have a recently purchased PowerCore 20100 that I got when I went to Colorado a week ago. And I have an iPod classic (purcahsed 2014) and an 80GB iPod Video (5.5G Circa 2006/7). I just may try this and see what happens. It charges my Apple Watch just fine and supplies it with power all night, but I do have to tap the on button whereas my iPhone and BlackBerry draw enough power to wake it up by itself.

7. ApolloBoy, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I just whipped out my Powercore 13000 and connected my iPod classic to it with nothing else. After hitting the indicator button to get it charging, it's still going almost 15 minutes later.

EDIT: About an hour later and the iPod's fully charged.