Portable router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bruinsrme, Jan 22, 2014.

1. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

My team has converted to iOS devices.

The need is to create a wireless network, without connectivity to the internet, in order to share files.

Thank you

2. Bruno09, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

An Airport Express would suffice, I think.

EDIT : just tried with an Airport Express, a MBP, and an iPad mini.

The Airport Express "create a wireless network", is set up as a router, and not connected to a wired network.

Therefore, I have no access to Internet, but I can transfer files from the Mac to the iPad, or from the iPad to the Mac via Instashare.

Works fine.

3. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Thank you very much. I just happen to have a couple of older airport expresses collecting dust.

Thank you for the Instashare tip as well

4. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

Airport Express would work. And if you need RADIUS support, the Airport Extreme would support that.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You're welcome.

You must set up the Express as follows :

- Wireless : "create a wireless network"

- Internet :
    "Connect using : Ethernet" (although no Ethernet cable is used, doesn't matter)
    "Connexion sharing : share a public IP address" (although no public IP address is used, doesn't matter). This will make the Express a router.
    TCP/IP : via DHCP (doesn't matter, again)
    DHCP : choose the IP adresses range you want

Apply the changes.

Any device connecting to the wifi network will get an IP address from the Express and be able to share files with the other devices.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Other options

If you truly want portability and file transfer there a few options out there,

My friend has this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Te...id=1390479063&sr=8-5&keywords=wifi+hard+drive

It works well and up to five devices (ipads laptops phones etc) can connect via wireless and stream files media etc from any external HD USB drive or sd card, it will also bridege to any local wireless internet.

There are numerous versions of this and a few full 1TB hard drives with it built in as well.