Portable Scratch Disk

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zioxide, Sep 10, 2007.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So I'm going to be working on some projects for my film classes using my new MBP. We're going to be doing a lot of EFP so I'll be using my MBP to edit in different locations. So I need a scratch disk to use to capture all of my footage. It's mostly going to be DV, but there's a possibility I could have some HDV too.

So basically I need a small portable scratch disk. I've looked at OWC and they have the bus powered Mercury Elite drives (FW800 and FW400) and I could throw a 100GB 7200rpm seagate drive in them for fairly cheap. The only thing I don't like about them is they're ugly as hell (see through plastic).

Does anyone know of any other drives/companies that would be good for this?

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Check Out LaCie. They've got some great ones, including a RAID of 2.5" drives. (The Little Big disk i believe) I read somewhere that it's a bad idea to use a Bus powered drive for Video. I could be wrong though.

Edit: This should work. LaCie FW HD Look into the bus powered thing though, I can't remember exactly what it was about it.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you looking for a 2.5" enclosure or 3.5"? And you want a bus powered one, right? So I'm guessing 2.5?

MacAlly is fairly tolerable looking, although I don't think they're as pretty as my Icys.

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I have the LaCie Rugged 7200rpm 100GB drive. Awesome drive... FW800/400 and USB 2.0, all bus-powered.

6. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

Nice, all of these seem good now I have to decide.

Also, is 7200rpm necessary or would 5400rpm be fast enough?

7. skimaxpower Guest

Yes, for video editing 7200rpm is necessary. HDD speed and processor speed will be your weakest links.

The price gap between 5400 and 7200 is small. Go for the fastest (and biggest) HDD you can afford.

Seriously, go big. 100gb is like... nothing. Especially if you're talking HDV. Go for as big as your can afford.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

7200rpm is necessary. You don't want to drop frames. You can get by on 5400... but I would not recommend it.

9. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

DV for a film class? Oh, educational systems.

10. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

What do you expect, real film? I go to a poor state school, we can't afford that. :eek: