Portable speakers for the car?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Brewerpaul, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

I have an IPT and would like to use it in my car. My car stereo does not have an aux jack easily accessible. I got a wireless transmitter, but it's a pain in the butt having to constantly retune it as I drive around.
    I'm thinking that some sort of extra speaker system for the car would be a good idea. I'm not necessarily looking for audiophile sound quality, just the ability to listen to some tunes and podcasts.
    Any ideas?

2. rjames86 macrumors member

Just buy a new stereo. Why waste money on speakers that'll sit awkwardly in the car?

3. Brewerpaul thread starter macrumors regular

I'd agree, but I'm thinking of trading in this car in about 6 months and don't want to spend the $$. Any car I'm considering would already have an mp3 compatible radio. I could also use separate speakers in either my or my wife's car. Even though they would be awkward in the car, I could also use these self powered speakers in the back yard, at picnics, etc.

4. g2tegg macrumors member

You can pick up decks for around $100 that have aux inputs :

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10114496&catid=21981

Its simple. Install the stereo, takes about 20 minutes, before you sell the car take stereo out and install the stock one. OR, just get rid of it with the car and purchace something better with your new vehical.
    Portable speakers in your car is retarded. You have to run a inverter to power the speakers, which is a waste of time/money. You might as well drive around with headphones on.
    Just my $.2

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

A deck is a way better solution, you would likely get a tad bit of money when trading it in with a new deck. If you have a cassette payer you could just use that?

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I've got to get my eyes checked. I could have sworn this thread was about "Portable speakers for the cat?". Should that (the cat) be the case, I recommend THESE. They have a retractable cord that can be extended to just the perfect length to drape like a saddle over your cat. ;)

7. Brewerpaul thread starter macrumors regular

Haha! Those actually look pretty good, but I don't think that any of our 3 cats would put up with them. Still, they might do the trick for the car and other portable applications. Thanks.