Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sy0296

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
want an portable ssd to store raw photo file, h.264 gopro files, itunes library, and misc music/movies...they are taking up too much real estate on my 512GB MBP internal SSD.

i use time machine to back everything up and have a second carbon backup from an external HD but i still want the portable drive to be rugged enough so i don't need to worry about dropping it (i'm clumsy) or having it be bouncing around in bags/luggages (i travel a lot). this is the primary reason i'm considering a SSD.

access speed is also concern (movie file for itunes, playback/editing h.264 files), but i know i am limited by the firewire port

i'm looking at something like this, but it's $$$$$$ (480GB 3G SSD for $960). i can get a 750GB 7200rpm drive from the same company for 1/6th the price (one of the few companies that uses the Oxford chipset for firewire...i'm told that's good).
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/MEQMSSD480/

any suggestions?

Last edited:

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Get a regular HDD. Keep a backup copy at home just in case, but most HDDs are pretty rugged. Not as much as an SSD, but pretty good nonetheless. Just get a case for your external (like a padded hard case) that will protect it.

sy0296

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
thanks for the comments.

will there be much performance benefits with the ssd? (not just speed, but power consumption as well).

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
thanks for the comments.

will there be much performance benefits with the ssd? (not just speed, but power consumption as well).
Power consumption maybe, but speed, no. Even FW800 cannot saturate a SATA II link, so you'd notice no performance improvement to having the SSD vs a traditional HD as an external, unless you connect it through eSata, which the MBP doesn't have. Unless you find a way to connect it through the thunderbolt port, it's not worth it, at all.

Save the money and buy a regular HD, when not spinning, they are pretty rugged too, you know.

sy0296

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Power consumption maybe, but speed, no. Even FW800 cannot saturate a SATA II link, so you'd notice no performance improvement to having the SSD vs a traditional HD as an external, unless you connect it through eSata, which the MBP doesn't have. Unless you find a way to connect it through the thunderbolt port, it's not worth it, at all.

Save the money and buy a regular HD, when not spinning, they are pretty rugged too, you know.

thanks for the info and potentially saving me $800...i guess since this drive won't be connected all the time, power consumption is not going to justify for the extra dough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.