Portable 'tethered' solution?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Kadin, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

So I'm heading to a friends tonight and he has a computer. I figured since you never know, that it might be smart to create a solution in the unlikely chance that I need to reboot my JB'd 4.2.1 iPad. I put the correct .ipsw file along with Redsnow on a USB Flash Drive. This should be all I need, right? He has an iPhone so the data cable is there if I need it.

Anything else I might not be thinking about?

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Might as well put itunes 10.1 on there to complete your contingency plan.

4. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

seems a bit extreme. I have had no issues with a reboot, knock on wood, but I do have a copy of it on my air and on idisk!

5. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yup put iTunes, redsnow, and the ipsw there. Also an extra cable.

6. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Yeah i always over-analyze things and forecast the worst-case scenario. And this is my first experience with a tethered jailbreak. Needless to say, the night went fine and nothing was needed. But the responses got me thinking, is iTunes really necessary simply to boot tethered via redsn0w? I'm guessing the only reason it would be needed would be for the proper iPad drivers for the computer...

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's exactly the reason.