portable USB Blu-Ray player announced!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZHH, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ZHH macrumors newbie

2. ninja10 macrumors newbie

i wonder if you can gut that out and make it fit in to the new macbook pro since its also slot loading drive.

3. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

When LaCie makes something that sleek, that's when I'll buy.

I prefer a brand I can trust. :cool:

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Perhaps, but only if the drive inside is 9.5mm thick. If it is the industry-standard 12.7mm it would only fit a MBP 17".

Cheers,

5. JadedRaverLA macrumors member

Absolutely correct.

Regardless, this is AWESOME news. Originally I planned to get a PC notebook if Apple didn't come through with BD drives in the latest MBP update, but I ended up going back on that and deciding to get one even without the one feature I most wanted. I was planning on buying a notebook BD drive at retail (and paying FAR too much to do so) and then putting it in an external enclosure. That was going to cost considerably more than this, and not look as nice.

Thanks for the find ZHH! I would have been so upset if I ordered the parts I needed tomorrow only to find out right after that this was coming out. Anyway, I just sent an email to them with some follow-up questions... I'll let you know what I find out regarding availability, actual release date, etc.

6. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Great! Looking forward to that.
    I'm very interested in one of these as well!

7. mscofield macrumors member

8. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Note to those excited:
    OSX still doesn't support bluray video playback. So this can only be used to burn and read data discs.
    There are already a couple of external usb bluray solutions out there, not this slim though.

9. JadedRaverLA macrumors member

Correct. However, BootCamp is your friend. ;)

And once Apple actually supports Blu-ray (after getting all the studios to agree to Jobs' demands) support should be added to OS X.

There's still a very real question of whether Apple properly implemented HDCP in the new notebooks (for output over a digital video connection), but there's ways around that too, if needed.

No problem. I'll let everyone know as soon as I hear. I would have called, but really didn't want to pay long distance to Hong Kong, just to be placed on hold forever, and then get his voicemail. ;)

10. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

Will this even look as clear as bluray on my new macbook pro?

11. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

anybody else thinking that thats what the new mac mini is going to look like?
    (if they keep the mac mini)

12. iBelieve macrumors newbie

Nice!

Even if the thickness is a bit decpetive in the pic. It's thicker than just the black part clearly visible. You have to pay attention to the layer underneath the black top.

As soon as I sell my Truck and get the cash for my new MBP...I will be buying one of these to go along with it!

Sweet! :eek:

13. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

So, I'll still be able to rip movies right?

Thanks!

Pro-79

14. mscofield macrumors member

Most important thing for me is to burn movies from my HD and copy other discs.
    After that play them on a regular blu ray player connected to a normal sized tv.

Right?

Question: Since the xbox360 can read HD DVDs from that external thing, will this device work as well?
    Would be pretty nice if you ask me ..

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have an ATI RadeonX1600. That good enough? :) (NO!)

Glad to see those external drives getting cheaper. Those new Macs had better at least "support" Blu-ray (be able to through just a software upgrade) because otherwise Steve Jobs and Co. are taking a huge risk on getting egg on their face. While they and some here cream their pants about digital downloads, the rest of us like optical discs. We especially like how they don't fail nearly as much as hard drives, plus BD offers WAY better sound and better picture.

Oh yeah, iTunes doesn't offer a single HD movie for sale and for some stupid reason (be it theirs or studios) makes you wait 30 days to rent new releases. "Downloads rule" my...you know.