Portable Wifi Routers - Edimax? Asus?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yoopta, Mar 21, 2014.

1. yoopta macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking at getting a wifi router so I am able to set up my own hotspot when staying in hotels. I am using a 13" MBP 2013 and so don't have a ethernet port. I was looking at getting the adapter and then decided I might as well go the whole way and get a portable router!

I have seen two that have caught my interest, was just wondering if anybody had any experience of either? Or any recommendations?

ASUS WL-330NUL

http://www.asus.com/Networking/WL330NUL/

Edimax BR-6258N

http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=350&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=2

Thanks very much,

Yoops

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

An AirPort Express also makes a decent portable router.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Newest gen AirPort Express can't be beat! Can be had for $75 from Apple refurb.

4. ColdCase, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Dunno about those models, but I've used a ASUS WL-330GE RTL for years in a portable motorcycle type environment (with a 12v-5vdc adapter). It just works. ASUS seems to make good products. The current version is WL-330N3G. The 330NUL has also had some good reviews, it allows shared wireless connection too.

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I'd even say the older generation of AirPort Express is still quite good for this task. Just one little box to plug. Easy to setup with your Mac (Handy when you have connection problem while traveling). And it must be really cheap now.

[​IMG]

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The new one is more capable, simultaneous dual-band.

But that old one, is definitely more compact portable. No wires.

7. yoopta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for your help, I will have a look and see what I can find. Went to go and see the Airport extreme today, unfortunately they didn't have it in so need to find a bigger store. However they did have a TP-Link WR702N in which I might look into. Seems a bit like the express, although I am aware that you get what you pay for!

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I've always travelled with a travel router... but the days of wired internet are coming to a dwindling end. WiFi is standard now, and I have stopped carrying my Airport Express.

I'd recommend that you get a VPN service to prevent yourself from gettings sidejacked. I am now using cloak (getcloack.com)... and typically the cheap plan ($2/month) is sufficient for my travel needs.

/Jim

9. boast macrumors 65816

boast