portable wifi?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erielsays, May 22, 2011.

1. erielsays macrumors newbie

I'm going to be traveling all over the states this summer and want to have access to internet. Is there a portable wifi usb or card I could buy (and for how much) that would be able to receive internet on the road? Thanks!

2. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

You can use your phone to tether it to your computer or you can buy a mobile hotspot every carrier has them

3. erielsays thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i tether my phone? just use the usb cord that came with my phone and connect it to my comp? its that easy?

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If you jailbreak ;)

5. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Yep, depending on the carrier, it costs around $20/month, but you have a limit as to the amount of bandwidth you can use. I'd recommend that over mobile hotspots which either require a 2-year contract or a large upfront cost for the hardware.

6. erielsays thread starter macrumors newbie

ok cool thanks so much! i'll go into sprint and talk to them about setting it up so i can connect my phone to my comp! =]

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

8. KwanMan macrumors regular

we were driving around the east coast in 2005 and one thing we realised was that there was unprotected wifi everywhere. ofc this isnt guaranteed but everytime we needed google maps to find our way, we stopped at a random road and there was always 10-15 unprotected wifi hotspots.

9. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Like I said before, mobile hotspots require either a 2 year contract (and paying $50/month) or at least $199 to buy the MiFi outright. If you're only going to need data for a few months, tethering is a much better option as it can be turned on an off without much fuss.

It's definitely not 2005 anymore.

10. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I did a lot of traveling a couple years ago, often in rural parts of the mid west.. in terms of data, Sprint was the best. I rarely lost my data connection and when I did I was in the middle of nowhere. It out preformed at&t and verizon big time.

11. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I highly recommend getting a mobile hotpot device if they're is going to be more than one of you...or more than one computer.