Portable WIFi

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jacobson00, Jul 18, 2011.

1. jacobson00 macrumors member

I have the regular Wifi-only ipad 2. I am regretting not byuing the 3g one. Now i am looking at ways to buy many a portable wifi or a box i can carry and get wifi on my Ipad.
    Saw Time warner cable mobile spot, not really sure , if that is it or not.

ANybody has a suggestion?

Thank you

2. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Verizon, Sprint, Clear, etc. all have MiFi hotspots. Need a montly plan though.

I would personally do Verizon for the 4G. I think it's like $50 for 5gb, $80 for 10gb, andl ike 30 for 2gb? something like that

3. jacobson00 thread starter macrumors member

thanks all.
    $50 seems a bit much. is there a cheap one, i am doing research but see so much that i have no clues anymore. Not willing to spend more than $15

4. patp Guest

what kind of phone do you use? You might be able to activate a wifi tethering option if your phone is capable of it.

otherwise, good luck in finding any wifi hot spot that's portable for $15 a month.

That's like saying, I really want to eat high end French food made by an awarded chef, but I only want to pay $5 for the meal.

5. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

I get 1GB data for $16 a month, I do live in the uk though...

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

7. JeeRock macrumors newbie

8. jacobson00 thread starter macrumors member

i have a Blackberry with simple mobile network

9. OneForGadgets macrumors member

Even if you purchased the 3G model, you would still have to pay for a plan, so I am kind of confused here. Either you want to spend the extra money and get the plan or spend the money on the WiFi version and buy the MiFi. Unfortunately, Blackberrys are not able to become mobile hotspots as far as I am aware where an Android, Windows or iOS could.

So you may be out of luck if you don't wish to spend the extra money on the MiFi.

10. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

i switched over to a phone that has a bult in Wifi hotspot on the phone because i was tired of trying to find a place to use with ipad

11. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

12. jacobson00 thread starter macrumors member

what kind of phone did you buy?

13. jacobson00 thread starter macrumors member

i saw some MiFi on ebay. sorry for asking dumb questions but i am trying to understand the concept. If i buy for example (Novatel MiFi 2200 Wired & Wireless Router), do i still have to select a monthly plan, or do i get wifi automatiqualy?

The ipad without the internet is ....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

14. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

You will most need to purchase a plan. I had a Novatel 2200 by Verizon, and it worked pretty well. I just upgraded my 2200 for the new Novatel 4G LTE mifi. I was able to get it free during an Easter sale at our local Verizon store. If you are going the Verizon 2200 route, I wouldn't go with the older 3G device. The plans are the same for the 2200 and their 4G LTE device, so might as well go with the current model. However, their plans are not cheap. My work pays for all my data, so it's easier on me, but if they didn't pay for it, I would still get one personally. They work pretty well, and my iDevice batteries seem to last longer since it connects by wifi. Since I'm with AT&T also, it's nice having different carriers to use for data. There are times where Verizon's 3G was unusable in a certain location, and I could just switch to AT&T 3G.

15. jacobson00 thread starter macrumors member