Portable wireless router question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CliftonHighgrov, Oct 22, 2016.

1. CliftonHighgrov macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

I'm finding ad-hoc wireless, which I use for various syncing tasks, increasingly unreliable between my MacBook Pro and iOS devices. I'm also currently on 10.9.5 (though upgrading to Sierra shortly) so I'm stuck to using 128-bit WEP for ad-hoc wireless connections! So, I'm considering purchasing a portable wireless router.

The two devices I'm considering are the TP-LINK TL-WR710N and TP-LINK TL-WR810N (links are to Amazon UK). The question I have is very basic, but I'd rather sound a fool and make the right purchasing decision than not ask and make the wrong one.

So: in people's experience, would either device suffice to permit two wireless devices to share files between each other, despite the absence of a wired internet connection to the router?

Both devices offer "router mode", which is what I believe I require. However, the info I can find suggests such a mode and device is designed to allow wireless devices to gain access to a wired network, with no mention of access between wireless devices—hence my doubt.

Can anyone put my mind at rest here?

Thanks!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I've got the older version of what you've listed. it works as you want.

With that said what devices are you connecting to each other and for what purpose?

3. CliftonHighgrov thread starter macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

Which model is that, just so I know?

Primarily for connecting a MacBook and some iOS devices for the purposes of data syncing between iOS apps and their macOS counterparts. The ad-hoc method has worked up to now, but unreliably and the WEP limitation always sits uneasily with me.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Tl-wr703 I think it was

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What device is keeping you limited to WEP? That has to be a very old piece of equipment!

6. CliftonHighgrov thread starter macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

As I indicated, it's OS X 10.9.5 that imposes this limitation: ad-hoc networks cannot be created with anything higher than 128-bit WEP. I haven't checked what the situation is in Sierra.