Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JB x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
How portable are the macbook pros compared to the macbooks? I gonna to go to college next year so I would like to know if it will be heavy to carry with me? Any advice would be appreciated.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Did you try looking at the Apple site?

Attachments

• Picture 10.jpg
    Picture 10.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 593
  • Picture 11.jpg
    Picture 11.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 601

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
Unless you're a girly man that whole pound won't make a difference. ;)

But in all seriousnes the computer is wider so it makes it slightly harder to carry around. But if you're on the fence I wouldn't hesitate to get a Macbook Pro if you're only concerned about the weight. Not even five years ago my laptop was 10 pounds and I liked it! :rolleyes:

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
The new MacBook is noticeably lighter than the old MacBook. So the new MacBook weighs quite a bit less than the Pro but the dimensions aren't too far off. I used a 15.4" MBP for a bit in school and while it's a big big it's still manageable and fits fine on small desks.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
I'm 5"6, 98 pounds, and female. If I have to walk at least 1.6km (or 1 mile) to get to school, and if I'm able to bring my Macbook Pro to school 3 times a week, so can you.

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
I'm 5"6, 98 pounds, and female. If I have to walk at least 1.6km (or 1 mile) to get to school, and if I'm able to bring my Macbook Pro to school 3 times a week, so can you.

haha. now that's got to be one of my most favorite mr posts yet.

Kleivonen

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
I recently switched from bringing my old 13" polycarbonate to school, to the previous gen. 15" MBP, and when it is in my bookbag, I can't tell the difference.

eddyhttp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008

thats pretty hot, do you have facebook : P lol

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
The ratio of power/portability in the MBP is ridiculous. It really is one of the most portable laptops in it's class. I don't mean that as hyperbole. It is genuinely a slick machine with a lot under the hood. If you have the money for the MBP, go with the MBP.

vista.john

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
The ratio of power/portability in the MBP is ridiculous. It really is one of the most portable laptops in it's class. I don't mean that as hyperbole. It is genuinely a slick machine with a lot under the hood. If you have the money for the MBP, go with the MBP.

I agree, I've had various versions of MB and MBP. From my experience, if you can afford a new MBP, don't bother to look into MB. :D

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
In my personal opinion, 15" is the sweet spot between usability and portability.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have an 15.4 MBP and it feels light as a feather.. its extremely thin too.. so is is mainly your budget I should say which affects your decision.
... except the OP didn't ask about the difference in price. They asked about portability. Budget may be your primary deciding factor, but that's not necessarily true of everyone else.

CleverUsername

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
I can't give much real world experience, since mine hasn't left the house yet ;), but just wandering around between the kitchen and my room there is a noticeable size difference between when I handle my mom's previous gen blackbook and my 15" unibody MBP. I'm assuming the difference with the newer gens would be even higher. That being said, I certainly prefer mine :D

My trite suggestion would be to make a pro/con list, giving extra value to what's most important to you. If portability is absolutely your deciding factor, go smaller.

JB x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Yes I'm going to get the macbook pro. I decided on the previous gen macbook pro so there are the same price. For that price, its a no brainer to get the previous macbook pro. The differences between the aluminum mbp and the previous are minimal anyway. Thanks for the help guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.