Portal on iMac 2011; newbie question

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by kurb, Jan 24, 2012.

1. kurb macrumors newbie

Hard to believe - I've never played computer game before, and got interested in Portal/2 because of the great reviews and recommended even for those not into gaming.

Dumb question 1: Can I play the game with keyboard or mouse?

Dumb question 2:I have low end iMac 2011 with i5 processor. Is this good enough to get going?

Thanks for any suggestions
    Kurb

2. simsaladimbamba

1. Yes.
    2. Yes. (look for System Requirements here)

3. kurb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, that's good to know

On the other hand Would it be much easier for gaming novice to play with some recommended controller instead of keyboard/mouse?

4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Personally I've played portal on my iMac and on the PS3 (with a controller) the keyboard and mouse is much better IMO and that's coming from someone who is usually a console gamer.

Also, Portal will run fine. Your iMac is a little weaker than mine but mine runs both games with everything and max settings and plays great so I'm sure you won't have an issue.

5. simsaladimbamba

I don't know, I always fared well with keyboard and mouse navigation in games, thus I advise you to just start the game with mouse and keyboard, and if you have problems with that, you could try a controller (and return it, if it does not suffice).

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

It's not really a twitch gameplay as much as an FPS or something. A mouse/keyboard is the perfect combination to play.

And no worries about your iMac. I have a 2006 MacBook with Intel Integrated GMA 950 graphics - aka the worst ever - and it can sort of distortedly run in OSX, runs on low/med no worries in WinXP.