Portal Physics Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gamoe, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Gamoe macrumors regular

I found myself thinking about this particular scenario after playing Portal 2 and seeing a Halloween decoration on the ceiling of a store: Let's say you portal this part of the ceiling And another area of the ceiling inside the store. What would happen to the object? Would it fall through the second portal towards the floor or remain where it is- remember gravity is acting equally (I would think) on both portals- so I'd figure there would be equal gravitational pull from the floor and the portal. What would happen?

Would the answer change if you portaled outside the building? It would seem that the only variable here would be the actual gravitational pull- It would be stronger closer to ground/sea level.

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Your question is really, really hard to follow, but I'd guess it would happen as it does in the game, the object would fall (assuming portals behave in teal life as they do in the game). It's hard to give a solid answer without making a few assumptions.

3. Gamoe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. Let me try to rephrase:

Say there is an object stuck on the ceiling in a room and you create a blue portal here and an orange portal on another similar area of the ceiling. What would happen to the object? Would the object fall through to the orange portal, fall down to the floor without going through the portal, or stay where it is due to the force of gravity being equal towards the floor and through the portal?

Obviously we need to make a "leap of faith" on the portals themselves- but I think the general concept is making a passageway where the surface of a wall or ceiling is replaced and through which the forces of gravity and everything else translate over from/to the other side. I don't think we have to dwell much of the fictional quantum-nature of the portal itself to apply this concept.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Ah ok. I'd think it would just fall straight down, like in the game.