Portal (Steam) and Xbox 360 controller

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by gooch3265, Sep 24, 2011.

1. gooch3265 macrumors member

Has anyone succeeded in using an Xbox 360 controller with Portal (1) over Steam?

I have installed PrefControl360 (which has allowed me to play LFD2 via Steam), as well as MAME games, but it does not work with Portal. I have tried the exec joypad and exec 360controller commands without success.

"I look forward to your reply" :)

2. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Using a joypad to play portal is like trying to play guitar in boxing gloves , just use keyboard and mouse and play how it was meant to be played .

But if you insist on crippling your responsiveness , my xbox pad works in steam in bootcamp , but not in steam on mac OS , I'm assuming it's a steam support issue rather than mac driver issue . But I could be wrong.

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

I presume that's your opinion as it's not everyones. I play it with a game pad and it works just fine. At the end of the day it's a matter of personal preference and neither way is neccessarily the right way.

4. gooch3265 thread starter macrumors member

I was a mouse and keyboard gamer back when Doom was first released for my 386DX-40 laptop. Don't patronize me. My workspace and preferences have changed.

It's far easier for me to play FPS and similar games on my MBP using an Xbox 360 controller because I don't need a flat surface to use a mouse. Just my preference, not a value judgement. Each to their own.

5. gooch3265 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, and by the way...it's Portal for God's sake. I've reached the last level using my keyboard and in-built trackpad. It's not like COD:MW2 in there :rolleyes: