Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

EETimes is reporting word from analyst Chris Caso that PortalPlayer may have scored a big win in Apple's rumored phone, receiving the contract for the applications processor design.

PortalPlayer was dumped from Apple's iPod Nano line in April 2006, and has since been bought by NVidia, who themselves are rumored to have scored the multimedia chip contract for the forthcoming "true" video iPod. PortalPlayer still supplies the audio processor for Apple's full-sized iPod (iPod with video).

Apple's phone has recently been rumored to be in production overseas, with initial deliveries starting in February 2007.

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
I hope these iPhone rumors are true. I've been putting off the PDA-world for too long, waiting for something that would work seemlessly with my Mac lifestyle. C'mon Apple, don't let me down!

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I had a dream last night that I got one, it was great! ... yet disturbing that I'm dreaming about an iPhone.

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
That's pretty impressive. Apple can actually have 20 gazillion phones put into production before they've even picked someone to design the "applications processor". This is how far sighted a company they are, most people have to design things before they build them, but Apple, you see, has vision, and with vision, well, anything can happen.

Word has it that they actually shipped the first Macintosh 128k twenty years before the 68000 was designed.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
That's pretty impressive. Apple can actually have 20 gazillion phones put into production before they've even picked someone to design the "applications processor". This is how far sighted a company they are, most people have to design things before they build them, but Apple, you see, has vision, and with vision, well, anything can happen.

Word has it that they actually shipped the first Macintosh 128k twenty years before the 68000 was designed.

Just because we're hearing about portal player making the chips Now doesn't mean that they were just selected now. Who's to say they picked PP to make the chips before the phones were put into production? The sequence of rumors released doesn't indicate the sequence of events apple is taking.

afields

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
I rarely buy products when they first come out...this will be an exception. I will literally be refreshing the apple store, credit card in hand on the day of MWSF.

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
Just because we're hearing about portal player making the chips Now doesn't mean that they were just selected now. Who's to say they picked PP to make the chips before the phones were put into production? The sequence of rumors released doesn't indicate the sequence of events apple is taking.

You'd think that, wouldn't you. But not only is that not the case, the reality is actually worse than I said. Apparently PortalPlayer has until 2008 to put together the chip. That's what the article says...

(Actually the EE Times article is awful and literally backs up MacRumor's summary without actually imparting anything that would give you confidence in it being real. The EE Times article mentions the iPhone once and then switches to talking about "the next generation iPod Video"; I think the author is just confused and wanted to conflate the two for the sake of the headline.)

kansast

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
O.k. yes.. I hope to get me one of these iPhones when they come out. Regardless of any "new" features. I'm just hoping it'll have that smart Apple design/user interface etc. and I'll be able to sync up with my computer easily.

However.. I just don't see how anything Apple comes out with.. if ever.. can EVER LIVE UP TO ALL THIS HYPE!!

I hope it's a killer though.

LostPacket

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
Canada, eh
However.. I just don't see how anything Apple comes out with.. if ever.. can EVER LIVE UP TO ALL THIS HYPE!!

No kidding. Remember when the iPod was introduced? So many people were disappointed and it didn't get half the hype the iPhone is getting. I can't wait to read the forums once they announce a white RAZR with an apple logo.

sartinsauce

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
Los Angeles
iPhone isn't coming soon (if it's coming at all)

Every Friday, Engadgetmobile.com posts the most recent FCC filings for wireless phones. Until something like an iPhone comes through the FCC, it won't happen in the United States. I imagine that other countries have similar regulatory comittees with similar public filings. Wanna find the iPhone? Keep your eyes peeled there.

Consequently, I'm not sure how His Steveness will be able to keep this thing a secret since FCC filings are public. Most likely, it'll be filed under Apple, and we'll all know about it before it's formally introduced. Or else it'll be filed under the name of another manufacturer, in an attempt to keep it secret. Either way, anyone watching the FCC filings like a hawk should be able to spot anything even remotely Appleish in terms of it's design aesthetic.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Just to re-iterate... We really don't know that it will happen at MWSF. The FIRST shipments are rumored to be coming in February (which probably means February 28th), so IF it is announced at MWSF, it wouldn't be shipping then.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
There are rumors of a second iPhone, and a reported former iPod nano chip maker for some sorta iPhone... sheesh, just release the supposed-maybe-coming-but-who-knows thing out. It'd be funny if no phone is ever released

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Every Friday, Engadgetmobile.com posts the most recent FCC filings for wireless phones. Until something like an iPhone comes through the FCC, it won't happen in the United States. I imagine that other countries have similar regulatory comittees with similar public filings. Wanna find the iPhone? Keep your eyes peeled there.

Consequently, I'm not sure how His Steveness will be able to keep this thing a secret since FCC filings are public. Most likely, it'll be filed under Apple, and we'll all know about it before it's formally introduced. Or else it'll be filed under the name of another manufacturer, in an attempt to keep it secret. Either way, anyone watching the FCC filings like a hawk should be able to spot anything even remotely Appleish in terms of it's design aesthetic.

It doesn't have to go through the FCC until it's ready to be produced. If Apple wants to keep it secret, they can announce it @ MacWorld and release it a couple of months later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.