PortalPlayer Planning Wireless... Wireless iPod?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A recent analyst note on PortalPlayer has triggered speculation about Apple's involvement in developing wireless iPods.

PortalPlayer makes system-on-chip semiconductors used in many portable media playing devices, including the iPod. In fact, 90% of PortalPlayer's revenue in the 3rd Quarter of 2005 is estimated to come from the iPod.

PortalPlayer indicated that it wants to aquire a small company with a wireless technology portfolio and is "dedicating 2006 to building out wireless capabilities".

Rumors/speculation of a wireless iPod is not new, with previous comments by Motorola execs as well as Apple patent images depicting a wireless iPod.

The last time Steve Jobs spoke on the subject, he claimed that Bluetooth for the iPod isn't a good option due to sound quality and headphone recharging issues. As well, Apple is cautious in adding new features:

We are very careful about what features we add because we can't take them away

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Quote:

Apparently this doesn't apply to Firewire.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
rdowns said:
Quote:

Yeah - looks like. I I don't really get the point why Wifi in an iPod would be such a great idea? For surfing the web? Wireless transfer of content? I don't mind connecting the iPod once a day to my iMac. I would mind if the battery life is any shorter

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
WiFi might be a nice thing to add to a dock, to go along with AirTunes. Inside a player? Meh. I wouldn't want Bluetooth headphones, they're kind of redundant inside and I'd rather not take an expensive headset outside to get lost or stomped on.

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
CmdrLaForge said:
Yeah - looks like. I I don't really get the point why Wifi in an iPod would be such a great idea? For surfing the web? Wireless transfer of content? I don't mind connecting the iPod once a day to my iMac. I would mind if the battery life is any shorter
I don't know about the benefits of having a WIFI iPod would be apart from syncing but wireless headphones would be great if they didn't need charging all the time.

Haha, here's an oxymoron for you all; A wireless lanyard....:rolleyes:

Fredo Viola

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2003
wireless levitating speakers that are made to hover around a platinum tiara with an apple logo made entirely of diamonds...

MacEyeDoc

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2002
rdowns said:
Quote:

Yes, now when my family travels and someones using a Gen 2 iPod and someone else a Gen 4 iPod you have to have 2 kinds of wires to recharge because the FW port was REMOVED after it had been in use for several years. Apple will do whatever it wants, whenever it wants. As for the next article, about no FW in the iBooks - that would be a shame, too - but Intel doesn't want to promote FW, they make money from USB. Like all the years of bashing the Pentiums, and bashing USB - well, now you're getting a Pentium with USB only, dude! What Apple wants to do, Apple will do - you don't really think they read these boards, do you?

strange days

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2005
i was wondering if it's 802.11g...

...you could stream VIDEO to the iPod from the PC in the other room, and save you the trouble of loading a huge archive on a little HD...

ok, the screen is not big or confortable for home viewing ( when you have a monitor or TV set close by ), but i don't have a TV in my bedroom and i don't want one, and i could use some streaming to watch a movie before falling asleep... :D

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
wifi streaming to a media hub (i.e. airport express w/ video) would be kinda cool. But I can imagine murder on a battery

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
Wireless would be cool for syncing but otherwise I don't know if I had a use for it. I don't know how good bluetooth headphones are but last I heard was that there are a lot of issues with them. ...I guess you have to start somewhere..

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Azurael said:
What about FireWire then...?
This would have been a very observant thing to say.........if the 1st response in this thread indicated the same thing.

And the only thing that would be useful for me is wireless headphones so that it's easier to jog without wires. I have no interest in wireless data transfer to my computer because I really don't sync my iPod with my computer very often.

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
I really think someone should just build the whole MP3 player into the headphones. A flash player can be pretty darn small, so it wouldn't really add to much bulk to the headphones, and you wouldn't have to recharge two things. Throw in a small remote to control them and you have a player I would buy. :)

themacmaestro

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2005
thejadedmonkey said:
How about if they add something people actually WANT, like firewire and a radio?!:mad:
A Radio would be good and the capability to do voice recording on it without a 3rd pary attachment.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Couple things. First off I agree with Steve'o about BlueTooth.....1.x 2.0 is an entirely different matter. The bandwidth and power consumption is high enough and low enough respectively that doing BT2.0 in an iPod would work.
WIFI is another matter. Personally I think the biggest draw for WIFI in the iPod is music downloads on the go. Say you are in a hotel on a trip. Your iPod normally syncs with your desktop at home. At the airport you were browsing the overpriced goods and saw an album you wanted. Whip out your iPod at the hotel. Hook it up to their network and browse iTMS from where ever.
All of this is possible if Apple would truly innovate. I’m sorry but shrinking the iPod and dropping the hard drive for flash isn’t innovation its standard progression of an existing line of products. Its standard “inside the box” thinking that goes on at any old company. Where is the Apple innovation of the 90’s?

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
thejadedmonkey said:
How about if they add something people actually WANT, like firewire and a radio?!:mad:
Or fix the gapless problem :p Thats all they have to do to make me happy :)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
SiliconAddict said:
All of this is possible if Apple would truly innovate. I’m sorry but shrinking the iPod and dropping the hard drive for flash isn’t innovation its standard progression of an existing line of products. Its standard “inside the box” thinking that goes on at any old company. Where is the Apple innovation of the 90’s?
That's my reaction too. Not wanting to add any features they can't take away?!? Who the heck is he, and what did he do with the old Steve Jobs? He's had a total reality distortion field failure!

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
i think that the most important thing for apple to do right now is catch up. i mean catch up in terms of improving the ipod in the features it already has. for example: the 30GB video ipod has only 2 hours of batterey life according to apple. so that means that volume is at its lowest, no backlight... another is firewire.. duh.. i know it must be hard for apple to bounce back to old features that they dropped, it in a way shows signs of weakness. but, sometimes thier image is worth a slap or two if thier product is better.

gear714

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2005
dylanemcgregor said:
I really think someone should just build the whole MP3 player into the headphones. A flash player can be pretty darn small, so it wouldn't really add to much bulk to the headphones, and you wouldn't have to recharge two things. Throw in a small remote to control them and you have a player I would buy. :)
you mean like these? http://www.thinkcp.com/whatsnew/pr032805.asp
good for exercising without wires or do you mean full (over ear)headphones?

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I wish the focus would move back to the computers a bit. Yes I realize the iPod is HUGE in every way right now but still...Apple used to make computers didn't they? ;)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i guess a wireless ipod isn't that bad of an idea. looks like it will be a good while before one comes out, if one actually does. as far as wireless headphones go, i would love to run without wires, but i don't think they would work very good for those of us who actually "run" and not "jog". i can't see bluetooth headphones working very good running 6 minute miles

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Seasought said:
Apple used to make computers didn't they? ;)
Yep - still do in fact - they just released new PowerBooks, new dual-core PowerMacs, new media-centric iMacs, and are planning on transitioning the entire platform to Intel. Just in case you hadn't heard... :p :cool:

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
~Shard~ said:
Yep - still do in fact - they just released new PowerBooks, new dual-core PowerMacs, new media-centric iMacs, and are planning on transitioning the entire platform to Intel. Just in case you hadn't heard... :p :cool:
What is this transitioning to Intel of which you speak? :D j/k

You're right, you're right. I just feel bombarded with iPod this and iPod that. I personally want a remote detonating iPod that takes out whomever attempts to steal it.

"Think C4"