Portfolio advice - quick question

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by fluidedge, Apr 15, 2008.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Hi, Like the poster above - i've got to put together a portfolio really quickly. As in Thursday. I've got the work done in Vue and Maya, i just want to know what quality/resolution to render out at to look the best.

I want to get them printed on A3 sized paper - will a render resolution of 1600x1000 be anything like good enough?

Looking to have a 2 inch border around each piece of work.

Help!

2. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I think i'd have to render at at about 4K. Which is going to take far too long.

Do you think it's OK to take samples of your work into an interview on a laptop and view them that way?

3. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I don't think it is standard to use a laptop rather than your portfolio but I'm sure they'll be looking at the quality of your work rather than the presentation format.

4. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

i think so, the interview is for a university course not a job. I don't think they're looking for mind blowing professional standard work - but rather just a general aptitude and interest in this sort of work.

I've got work that experiments with different light conditions, materials, bump mapping etc as well as a few completed scenes. I think it'll be OK to present it on my macbook.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

1600x1000?
    Not really enough…
    A3 = Your longest edge of A3 = ±16"

pixels/inch=PPI
    1,600/16" = 100PPI

6. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

so it could be done at about 100~120 PPI - but thats a bit grainy for print isn't it?

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That's what I said. Not really enough. ;)

266PPI is a good bet if you will be looking at it up close — which would be the case in a portfolio. :eek:

8. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

ok cheers,

I haven't really got time to render out 15 scenes at 4K and get them printed.

I'll take in what i've got on a laptop. Like i said it's for a university admissions interview not a job so they won't be expecting too much (i hope ;))

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Maybe have at least one or two printed… always helps. Just choose the best ones. :D

Good luck!

10. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

11. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

just wanted to say thanks again for the advice you gave me - the interview went really well and they've offered me a place. Not sure whether to accept it now!