Portfolio app for Graphic Designers

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by 212rikanmofo, Mar 7, 2011.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I am curious to know if such an app exists aimed towards graphic designers who would like to move their traditional portfolio to a digital format. I've seen a few portfolio apps that are targeted at photographers but nothing for graphic designers.

I would love to see an app that would allow us to showcase our work in a professional and simplified manner. The app would have to be geared specifically towards graphic designers.

2. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

I use pad folio for exactly this. I'm in the sign and printing business and use it to showcase my stuff

3. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

How do you like it for what you use it for? I find this way much easier to manage and update. Especially when going on an interview for a job.

4. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Its so simple to update and to be honest, most people are still blown away when you show them a portfolio on an iPad. So much more professional than brochures or sheets of paper

5. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

That's what I figured too. I checked out the app on iTunes and it looks pretty nice compared to the other ones. I hope they continue to update it and make it better. I don't have an iPad yet but am considering getting one this Friday so that I can use it as my portfolio to showcase all my design work.

Thanks for showing me it.

6. matt90036 macrumors regular

There are several problems with pad folio
    1. You have to add pictures one by one
    2. You can't synch your pictures via iTunes
    3. You can rename your portfolios
    4. 9.99 is a steep price for a program that cant do these basic thing.
    THE GOOD
    - pictures load lightning fast once you remove a frame
    - ability to reorganize pictures
    - seems to get updated so hopefully those shortcumings will get fixed

7. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

8. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

9. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

Some things that really appeal to me about pad folio compared to other portfolio apps is that the user interface is pretty well polished. Clean, simple and looks good. Which is important to me because it all adds to the user experience. Yes there are a few downfalls about the app that I hope they fix. One of them being is that you cannot pinch to zoom in when your work is displayed. I have small details in certain pieces that I'd like my interviewer/client to be able to see.

What I do love most is the dropbox integration. Which I think is a must for any app that requires some type of storage. It really makes things easier and more streamlined when working. Hopefully there should be an update due out soon for pad folio and I'm eagerly anticipating it's release.

Minimal folio looks pretty slick with it's simplistic and minimal interface as well. I'd have to give that a try only if they had a free trial version. The only decent portfolio apps for the iPad to me are pad folio and minimal folio. Hope there will be more developers out there making more apps like this so we can choose from.

10. Spooner83 macrumors 6502

Spooner83

This sounds lik the app I need! But, I don't know how it could help me as no one is hiring graphic designers in the dc area! Everyone wants coders, yet they don't list that in their application! $9.99 is a steep price so I'll have to wait til the price drops. Luckily, I won't have any graphic design job interviews soon cause our nation's capital is not hiring us!

11. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Why not do what I did 27 years ago. There was also a recession then with no one hiring. I chased a few bits of jobs and started working for myself. Wasn't easy but the self employed route may be the way to go. After all, if you think you're good enough for an employer to take notice of, you should be good enough to pick up some contracts for yourself

12. christopherkueh, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

christopherkueh macrumors newbie

Pad Folio

Hey guys.

My name is Christopher Kuehl and I am the guy who created Pad Folio. Since this discussion concerns my software in part and portfolio platforms in general I thought that I would jump in here.

So here are a few of the negative comments on Pad Folio, and I would agree with all of them. The good news is that they are now all not true after we updated the software.
    1. You have to add pictures one by one // this was originally an apple limitation that we had to constrain the program to. We added this function as soon as apple added the ability to select whole folders or multiple images.
    2. You can't sync your pictures via iTunes // This has been changed and you now can. This was updated back in February.
    3. You can rename your portfolios // To my knowledge this has never been an issue. If someone is struggling with this, drop me a line. I cannot recreate this issue and have never heard of it before.

We also have a lite version available if you want to try before you buy. Just make sure location services are turned on before you import. This was a mandatory requirement by apple that forces it to be on before it allows you to import images. Otherwise you will see an endless loading icon. As a privacy advocate myself it is incredibly annoying about location services, but we thought the added functionality beat out the big brother factor.

Also, we are releasing an update at the end of the month that will add:

-Homescreen customization options for more personal branding // background color changing options // font color and style options
    -Email Options
    -Slideshow Options
    -Pinch To Zoom
    -VGA output ability

These forums are really important and I'm glad to throw my hat in the ring. If you have any specific questions, comments or general feedback, email us. :)

13. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

Welcome to the forums Chris! It's a pleasure to have you here. Being directly able to communicate our ideas and concerns about your wonderful app is a delight. Pad Folio definitely has a great deal of potential at being the definitive portfolio app for creative professionals. So far I am liking all of the ideas coming in the next update and hope to contribute my ideas as well. I believe with all of us pitching in to give your team feedback that you'll in return provide us with a truly outstanding app.

14. christopherkueh macrumors newbie

Thank you, it is great to hear people discussing the options and use of portfolios on the iPad. Frankly, having people discussing ways to make this better is great and we love to hear feedback from people.