Portfolio Mockup, Tell me What you Think!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Elias-Rosine, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Elias-Rosine macrumors newbie

Elias-Rosine

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I understand the BoldThin aspect of the titles, but it is overdone. Only use it with multiple words, don't split a word into syllables.

Also, the site navigation at the top needs to be aligned with the right column or move it further left. As it is now, it seems like a mistake that it isn't aligned.

Other than those two quick fixes, it is a great start at it.
    Take what you will from a soon to graduate design student who has yet to really work on my site even though I have been telling myself to for a couple years.

3. Elias-Rosine thread starter macrumors newbie

Elias-Rosine

Thanks for pointing those two things out and I agree. On the edit I will make sure to do them. Thanks for the comment! ^^

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It also looks like a template. I'd utilize something more current and challenging in terms of design.

5. eskalation.dk macrumors member

Less text, more images! People doesn't want to read a whole lot, which is what you have on your front page... Put your projects in focus instead... And as said, the bold / not bold effect is overdone, you use it in places where it has no use or meaning.

6. Elias-Rosine thread starter macrumors newbie

Elias-Rosine

Could you show me some examples to send me in the right direction?

The text is just a lot because I put Lorem Ipsum. There is no way I'll put that much text on the home page! LOL. But yeah, I will shift the focus to my projects more and I'll add more images.

7. manueld macrumors 6502

I agree with the above sentiment.When showcasing a portfolio it should almost always be minimalistic to ensure that your visitors attention is drawn to your work.

There are lots of resources out there for trends and the like for the web which you should be keeping up with as you are a web designer. Two of my favorite sites, smashingmagazine.com and webdesignerwall.com

8. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I much prefer the second design, though just to echo the feedback already given on the page... the alignments are a little off, and I'd recommend putting the body copy text in a larger font at a normal weight rather than the current smaller bolder style.

9. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

You mentioned there's no way you're going to have that much text on the home page - so why are you designing it in there?

I'm not a leading expert in web design but I've been around a few years and made my share of portfolio sites. My current one at http://joeljenkins.me has by far been my best performer; I've got more freelance work and my best FT job to date off that site than anything else I've done.

SO. I've become a fan of the one page. If clients are looking over hundreds of applicants to do their project you need to get to the point fast, and make the layout a 1 track scan, lead them in order of what you want to see, no need to present half a dozen choices for them to think about.

At least that's my take. Simple=Win. It's worked best for me, and that's my 2 cents. :D. No matter what you do, make it kick a$$ to impress or you'll blend in with the rest. (it IS a good looking layout, I'm not saying it's bad. I just think it's too much to look over)

10. Elias-Rosine thread starter macrumors newbie

Elias-Rosine

11. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Ithinkseeingboldagainstnotboldisgettingseriouslyoverused.

The 2nd one looks better.

12. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

The new header alignment really makes it hard for me to read, and there doesn't seem to be much of a rhyme or reason to what you make bigger or smaller. The spacing between lines seems off too, especially the "we do art" part at the bottom.

Also, take out the wave or whatever it is that strikes through "studios" up top. It just makes it hard to read and like it's being taken out, or corrected, like you're saying you aren't a studio....

I don't mind the color though and you are getting closer I think with this from the others, the one before this was good, perhaps combine the two somehow,

but yeah, are you planning on having an image next to your tag line? Perhaps that will make the spacing and alignment make more sense?

It really does look like a template.

13. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

exact thing I was thinking which is fine if you are just a developer but it states that you do design as well. I see no aspect of design or who you are as a designer in that portfolio.

here is where I go for inspiration http://www.thecssawards.com/

14. Elias-Rosine thread starter macrumors newbie

Elias-Rosine

I really liked the wave through the studio. Perhaps I could just give it the glossy look with the wave. Maybe. I'll figure it out. ^^

Yeah, I'm planning on having a JQuery slideshow next to the tag line. As I said, I haven't finished the header yet. It's entirely incomplete.

I really don't understand why it looks like a template. >.< That's always what people say to me and it kind of annoys me. (I even lost a competition because the judges allegedly thought my site looked like a template)

But, I can't do those crazy type graphics. I don't have the training. Though I am going to the Uni soon, so I'll improve there. xD

That's a great website. ^^ Thanks!