Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
I really like it. It's very simple, and easy on your eyes. Everything is where you'd expect it to be and any idiot to CEO can find there way around easily.

P.S. - Like the artwork!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Hi. I have seen a few of these "check out my portfolio" posts and they never seem to have a lot of responses. A portfolio is a remote link and hits us with a lot of information to comment about. Posting samples always seems to get a good discussion going.

That said, I will comment on your Military Appreciation Day poster. I like the overall look and feel of this piece, especially the weathered look. It looks like something I would see in the window of a Harley shop or at an antique motorcycle show.

One of the things I have learned in my design training is to avoid being just a little bit off in alignment. Look real close at your typography in "15% off".
The top of the "1" doesn't line up to the top of the "5" and the "off" is too close to the "5". And yes, I did put this into PhotoShop and drag guides around it. If you are a little bit off, it can look sloppy to trained eyes. Either be precise in alignment or far enough off to make it look intentional.

The site is very nice, I'm just commenting on the artwork.

bntz313

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Hi. I have seen a few of these "check out my portfolio" posts and they never seem to have a lot of responses. A portfolio is a remote link and hits us with a lot of information to comment about. Posting samples always seems to get a good discussion going.

That said, I will comment on your Military Appreciation Day poster. I like the overall look and feel of this piece, especially the weathered look. It looks like something I would see in the window of a Harley shop or at an antique motorcycle show.

One of the things I have learned in my design training is to avoid being just a little bit off in alignment. Look real close at your typography in "15% off".
The top of the "1" doesn't line up to the top of the "5" and the "off" is too close to the "5". And yes, I did put this into PhotoShop and drag guides around it. If you are a little bit off, it can look sloppy to trained eyes. Either be precise in alignment or far enough off to make it look intentional.

The site is very nice, I'm just commenting on the artwork.

Thats is funny that you said harley, I just got a job at an harley dealership. I do all of our marketing material: Print, Web, Video etc.

I'm still in school and this job will totally be an good foot in the door!

I'm still in the process of updating all of my NEWER designs into the web site and will have a section for my artwork as well.

-Thanks

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I like the band poster with the animal skull quite a bit. The text and image work well together. The only thing I would comment on is to move the skull off to the left a bit more. The light areas that run off to the side of the page distract from the overall feel, at least to me. I like clean edges.

As for the Harley thing, a lot of the work on your sight just seemed to say "motorcycle" to me.

bntz313

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
funny thing is people all the time ask me "What kind of bike you ride" and I don't have one, then I get a weird look:rolleyes:

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
When I first went through your portfolio, the first thing that came to mind when I looked at your "About" page was "He dosen't look like a biker". Go figure. Wayne State? I'm from Ohio and my sister still lives in Portage. Most of my family is now in Arizona and I'm in Washington State. I miss the good Midwest winters. Both of my degrees are from Ohio University in Athens.

Small world.

TenPoundMonkey

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
VA
I think it's a fine portfolio for where you are in your career. One thing I don't like is the way that each "project icon" butts up against each other...

Then, like others have mentioned, you need to pay attention to tracking and kerning and spacing of elements... The space between the 1 and the 5 on the military discount poster is way distracting. Also, for me, the "military ID.." and "May 25th" are too close to the edge. Read up on grid systems.

Also, try to work on showing a variety of work- identity design, brochures, etc. in addition to your posters.

The Rand/Glaser editorial is fine, but i don't know if each page needs it's own thumbnail- I know you were trying to fill the page.

I really like the skull poster- nice nice work.

-TPM

PS- Rand > Glaser ;)

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
i don't like that the background color of the page is so close to the background color of many of your work samples. As a result the edges vanish in an unfortunate way that weakens your whole layout.....it's hard to see where the edges of the first images of the "editorial" row are located. The orange bits don't look like they're part of the same sample as the gray bars and text. And then the right side edge of the second item, where is it? At first glance it looks like your samples are just poorly spaced, and that's not the kind of reaction you want from somebody looking at your portfolio. And on the next row down, the "logos" sample, again it's really hard to see the edges of the sample so they don't immediately read as one sample instead of two.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The Earth poster was going to be my next point of contention. Be positive! Yes Earth is beautiful. How do you treat a beautiful woman? With love and tender care in my world. Not to mention respect. I never did get this "rape of the natural world" bit. Jeff Goldblum pulled it off in Jurassic Park, but only the Malcolm character could do that. People harm the Earth by driving too much and not recycling their beer cans. There is an inherent tone of violence to the term rape that is lacking in these acts. It should be reserved for the violent atrocity it is.

Change the tone of this piece.

bntz313

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
I agree with everything everyone has said, but I'm not going to change this piece.

Everything else you guys have said I totally agree about!

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I think it's actually quite an offensive piece. Are you trying to shock or is it just a misused word?

To me it gives the impression that all beautiful women are targets for rape from ALL men.

To be honest if i was looking over portfolios for hiring people and saw that i wouldn't look at any more of your work. I think it is completely inappropriate for a portfolio piece. Surely you must have some other work you can include other than that one. Technically there's nothing wrong with it, it just sends out an uncomfortable message that as an interviewer/recruiter i might be extremely offended by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.