Portfolio Thread

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Abraxsis, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

So with all the talk about portfolios I thought a thread devoted to the hard copy portfolio would be a good thing to add in to the mix. Feel free to leave your comments, questions, and opinions here for general discussion.

Personally, I have always had my pieces printed on 13x19 HP Prepress paper. But I'm beginning to rethink that since I ship my portfolios to possible clients that I am wanting to do freelance for (I only freelance by referral). I was thinking since a lot of my items are packages, in exploded (layout) view, that a nice ~65lb Vellum Cover Stock in 11x17 size might be a better choice.

Also here is a question too ... I usually dont print the dielines because I feel it detracts from the piece. But it seems that less and less designers are creating their own dielines these days, and that perhaps adding it might be a good thing? Opinions?

2. LeviG macrumors 65816

So thats B something or other isnt it (don't work with B sizes very often) but for easy reference just under a3 size :)

Not sure how you send your work, whether its mounted on board or sent in a bound portfolio for example but if its possible you could maybe do a transparent overlay with just the dielines so that the client can see that you did your own and still see the design cleanly if they lift a sheet up.

As to me and my portfolio, mine kind of changes to suit the requirements of the client etc. Being that most of my work is mainly 3D modelling and rendering its not really viable to show the modelling stage so its all to do with the 'final product'. Because its a digital image I can shape the image to suit the shape of the portfolio. I'm currently going for a widescreen 21cm x 42cm type layout which is simply cut from A3 paper (some canon semi gloss photo stuff - nice sheen without too much glare), this is then mounted on some nice quality board and stuck in a portfolio for transportation. One aspect of all my portfolio/business work is they all follow a set style (same bullet points, colours, fonts, borders if applicable that sort of thing) and that style follows on from my website etc so everything is in keeping, no point in having a business style/identity without keeping to it.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I choose to put the actual printed piece in my book whenever possible. My book is 11"x14", so anything smaller can fit in there. I did newspaper layout for awhile, so I have a box that fits much larger pieces as well. I like the ability to take the piece out and let others touch, fold, close, and open the piece...to explore the two-dimensional piece (print designer) three dimensionally.

4. Abraxsis thread starter macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

I would love to add in real life prints, but most of the boxes are very large (24" in one direction unfolded) I have, however, entertained making 1/4th size mockups and placing them in a nice box, also of my own design. A nice semi-gloss 100lb (~380gsm) card stock makes a great 3D mockup box. I have a shelf in my office with little 1/5th size boxes that I have created ( little something from the few and far between days were im not at all busy ) and people often comment on cool they look.