Portfolio Website Critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by semiotic, Apr 15, 2009.

1. semiotic macrumors newbie

Dear Macrumors folk,

I designed a website that serves the purpose of showing people what we do. It's very basic, and I have no prior experiences in web design / development, so I figured I'd get some critique before we launch. btw, it's been an interesting experience doing a website, hats off to the people who do it for a living. Cross-Browser Compatibility (I'm looking at you, Internet Exporer) is hell!

So, if you have some time, I'd greatly appreciate it if you take a look and tell me what you think! The url is http://www.chamoree.at.

Thanks,
    semiotic

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to do something else with the navigation bar; either get rid of it and format your links some other way or make it much more prominent. It doesn't fit at all with the site's theme.

3. LeviG macrumors 65816

I like the idea but the menu's just don't work. The bar menu is out of place as said and the small ones are too small in my opinion.

4. torndownunit macrumors regular

Ya the photos themselves are organized great. I love the little custom graphics on the lightbox slideshow.

But that menu makes no sense at all. It totally looks like an afterthought.

5. semiotic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input, I actually really had some trouble thinking of a way to implement the navigation. So I guess I'll keep working on it!

6. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Maybe you could use the cute little animals (cats?) to affix menu topics to?

7. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I also like the design and the Lightbox customisation.

If you do want to keep a separate navigation area, how about using similar styled tabs as you've used above the images on the front page (Design, Photography, Films and Art)? i.e. not in a "bar", just separate blocks?

8. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I like the general layout, but that navigation bar needs some hardcore tweaking to match the overall style.