porticus install mySQL is it supposed to take so long?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Starhorsepax, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Starhorsepax macrumors member

Starhorsepax

I avoided mamp because I didn't want to install anymore than necessary and the hard drive is getting rather full. But I've tried mySQL 5 and 4 and both times it's taking FOREVER :mad: and there are times the little spinner stalls completely. I'm told it should only take a few minutes but this is from a Windows person, not someone with a not so new macbook with only a gig of RAM. It's outright frozen a couple of times.
    Would this work better if installed manually? Should I leave it on and just let it run without bothering it?
    Or do I need to find a way to get that stick of RAM (I fear that will mean deciding between leaving at the mac place and trying to survive for days on a PC diet - which will choke me - or allowing a non mac person install the RAM. :eek:)

It's got 1 gig RAM and is running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. It's a first generation intel macbook.

2. Pudnik macrumors newbie

...The Mac rules over Windows in a lot of ways: Linux backend, more secure, certain operations are easier in OSX, applications are easier to examine and rip resources from. But Windows rules over OSX in certain ways: built-in cut & paste, full paths in explorer windows, easier managment of contextual menues, VBScript is easier to learn than the OSX scripting languages. So I use both to gain the benefits of both. :)

Pudnik