Porting a cell number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Feb 12, 2015.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Last month, after 12-15 years with Sprint, I left to go to T-Mobile on a pre-pay plan. An important aspect of porting my cell number over was to provide my account number from Sprint. I had always been on-contract over the years, renewing/upgrading every 2 -3 years. Now that I'm with T-Mobile, no where in my pre-paid information sheet (which they provided upon sign up) is an account number. Would I need a T-Mobile account number if ever down the line I want to switch over to ATT and port my number?

Thanks!

2. kalex macrumors 65816

I ported number from straight talk twice. My first port the 15 digit sim card number was the account number. Second port that i just did IMEI was used as account number. when you want to port out from tmobile to someone else just call tmobile and ask what they need to release the number.

3. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Alright… Perhaps, my cell number is now my account number. Thanks.

4. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

When I ported from Verizon to VMo, I didn't have to get an account number, VMo took care of all that.
    When they do ask for it, you have to give customer service a call, and ask for your account number. This info are not available online from my-tmo site.
    When I ported my number from VMo to TMo, I called customer service for the number, and took it to TMo store. Ported within a few hours.

5. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

Last year I ported a number from T-Mobile prepaid to an AT&T post-paid account, and the T-Mobile account number for a prepaid account is actually the cell phone number.

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This is correct. I did the same thing when I was with ST. When the iPhone 5 was released, I ported my number to AT&T so I could get the 5 on a subsidy. I can't remember if they took the number from my SIM card or the IMEI of my 4s, but either way it worked without a hitch.