Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daseff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Okay, I have a problem. The line I plan on porting (line A) from Verizon Wireless is currently the primary line on a family plan. I am unable to get that changed until tomorrow morning. If I am not able to make it a secondary number before I get my iPhone 4, will this hypothetical situtation work? Say I get an iPhone 4 with a new line of service and new number (line B), will I be able to use both lines, and then at a later date port the Verizon number (line A) to the iPhone 4 and get rid of line B's new phone number?
Hopefully that made sense, and thanks for any help!

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Yes.

I tried VZW for a bit in early May and did just that. I moved the primary AT&T number to VZW and they grabbed the number from AT&T and did the porting for me.

No probs. It worked just as it should.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yes, I did this when I first switched to AT&T and the port worked fine. In fact, I recommend that anyone who is trying out AT&T for the first time NOT port their number over if they can, and use their phone with the number that AT&T gives you. If the coverage and reception work fine for you, then you call up and port your old number over to the AT&T account, where it replaces the number AT&T gave you.

And if it doesn't work, you can just return the phone, cancel the service and you keep your old number on your existing carrier without any hassles.

daseff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Yes, I did this when I first switched to AT&T and the port worked fine. In fact, I recommend that anyone who is trying out AT&T for the first time NOT port their number over if they can, and use their phone with the number that AT&T gives you. If the coverage and reception work fine for you, then you call up and port your old number over to the AT&T account, where it replaces the number AT&T gave you.

And if it doesn't work, you can just return the phone, cancel the service and you keep your old number on your existing carrier without any hassles.

Sounds perfect. Thanks so much! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.