Porting Cell Number to New Carrier - What a Pain!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adk, Mar 20, 2009.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I have spent the last week trying to "port" my cell phone number from verizon to sprint. I don't know if anybody else has been through this much toil and trouble, but I hope it's not this complex for everybody.

When I got my new phone, the salesman said that in 4-6 hours my new sprint phone would start working and my verizon phone would stop. This was monday. 12 hours later I called customer support to see why my new phone wasn't working yet and was told that it actually takes 24-72 hours to port the number.
    72 hours later (sprint phone still doesn't work, and now my verizon account has begun the next month of billing) I call customer service again, slightly more irate. I am told that the salesman had entered the old account number wrong, and although they had known this since tuesday they hadn't attempted to contact me. I give them the information again and I am told that my new sprint phone would start working at noon today (friday).
    The service rep was halfway correct - my verizon phone stopped working but the new sprint phone still had nothing going for it. I called customer service one last time, as apparently they had to activate the new phone over the air (This information was never conveyed to me. I had to seek it out) and my new phone is finally working 120 hours after I got it, which is only slightly longer than the 4-6 promised by the salesman.

[/rant]

The Customer Service Reps were actually very helpful, but the whole system just seemed terribly organized. At least I have two more years of this to look forward to.

If anybody else is thinking about switching carriers but keeping their number, be prepared to be lugging two phones around for at least a week!

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

wow. I have jump from verizon to sprint to ATT with the same number and every time with little problem.

General with in 24 hours it was all done,

If you include the phones from my family you hit about 7-10 jumps in all and every time with very little problems.

For most people with in 1 day it is done.

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

We had no issues switching from Verizon to AT&T. It took maybe 4 hours for the port to happen, for three phones. My iPhone (4th phone) was working 30 minutes after we bought it.

That really sucks that you went through that. My one question for you is, why Sprint?

Don

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sprint (particularly, but also presumably Verizon) seem to sometimes have issues with this whole CDMA "provisioning" business, which is a unique issue to them and different from the way the GSM'ers work. But that is a long time.

Did you have an out-of-billing-area phone number? I know this complicates things slightly also, although they remain very doable.

5. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

I live in the middle of nowhere in "no Iphone for you" land, so my first choice is out of the question. Sprint's $99 "simply everything" plan seemed to be hard to beat: unlimited everything for a hundred bucks.

My billing zip code is in my area code, and I went to a store 5 miles from my house.