Porting # from AT&T to Google Voice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ComanWilson, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ComanWilson macrumors newbie

Does anyone having any experience porting a phone number from AT&T, while obtaining a new phone number for their iPhone?

2. himni macrumors regular

I haven't but I would be careful since it could cancel your line with AT&T and you would be stuck with an ETF. I would call AT&T and tell them what you are doing before you do.

3. rickreiko macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

I ported mine in when I switched to Verizon a couple weeks ago. It worked perfectly and I have had no issues.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I don't think you port the AT&T number to google voice. Don't you need to keep a normal cell number for google voice??

5. dickdaney macrumors regular

You port your current number to google voice. Then get a new number from att on a month to month Contract (if you're past your 2 year agreement). Porting your number cancels your att service. So if you're still under contract you'll har to pay an ETF. Of you have unlimited data, you likely won't be able to sign up for it again if you choose to stay with AT&T.

The best time to port your number to google voice is when you plan on switching carriers.