Porting from Trillian to Adium

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hello,

I currently use Trillian on Windows, and Adium on Mac.

What would be the best way to port over as much of my Trillian data as possible, over to Adium? What I want to try to keep is my MetaContacts and Groups, and user aliases, at least.

Has anyone successfully ported over their stuff?

Anyone care to share their experiences? I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes to do this! :)

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
In trillian it is possible to save your buddy list.

Also, the data is stored on AIM servers.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I didn't have to add or remove any contacts from my list, it was all there. Just click the Red Adium icon when starting Adium to see who isn't online (as well as who is).

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
i don't think adium supports metacontacts, so you're outta luck on that one i believe. i'm a firm believer in trillian, i don't like adium so much.

ColdFlame87

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
since your still using the same sn wouldnt all the aliases and metacontacts remain the same when the sn is used in adium (since adium supports metacontacts and aliases), i heard all that is kept on the aim server. Am i correct in making this assumption?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I have Adium you guys, I didn't have to add any contacts, it got them from the servers when I logged in. e.g. MSN, AIM, and Yahoo!. So it will work, it'll import all of your previous contacts, etc. You're good to go.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
slooksterPSV said:
I have Adium you guys, I didn't have to add any contacts, it got them from the servers when I logged in. e.g. MSN, AIM, and Yahoo!. So it will work, it'll import all of your previous contacts, etc. You're good to go.
that's what everyone was telling you in the beginning. :-/

in fact i could've confirmed this, i use like 3 different machines and my buddylist stays the same no matter which one i'm on.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Of course the buddy list stays the same.

I am talking about metacontacts (which I can guarantee do not stay on the servers; they are Trillian-only features. Adium has it too, but it isn't the same format as Trillian.) Also, user aliases on MSN, ICQ for instance, do not stay on the server. So I would have to rename, like, 300 contacts. Which would really, really suck. Very sucky :(

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Gary King said:
Of course the buddy list stays the same.

I am talking about metacontacts (which I can guarantee do not stay on the servers; they are Trillian-only features. Adium has it too, but it isn't the same format as Trillian.) Also, user aliases on MSN, ICQ for instance, do not stay on the server. So I would have to rename, like, 300 contacts. Which would really, really suck. Very sucky :(
yea, those are all built into the applications. so yea.. those won't be transferable. I personally dislike adium... it just feels weird. I don't like the interface at all.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
DXoverDY said:
yea, those are all built into the applications. so yea.. those won't be transferable. I personally dislike adium... it just feels weird. I don't like the interface at all.
So, what do you use on the Mac?

I dislike Trillian because it spikes to 100% CPU constantly. Go on their forums and you will see that I am not alone.