Porting Go-Phone number to new contract iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by S1njin, Jun 17, 2010.

1. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Whenever the ordering/delivery mess for my phone resolves itself, I'd like to port my GoPhone number to my new iPhone. I didn't want to add the number port to my order and increase the complexity of it (the same reason I didn't order thru Premier - I'll add my discount post activation).

My ATT Store says its not a big deal and it can be done in like 20 minutes. Online says it can take 5 days. :eek:'

Anybody do this? Is it a pain?

2. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

No problem. First, did you validate that your number is eligible to be ported?

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/transfer-your-number/

Warning: The number can only port in the same local area where the number was assigned by your local service provider. The dreaded ZIPCODE check.

While is should be simple you do need to validate first. Once the port process is started, you will be able to make outgoing calls on your new iPhone 4. Inbound calls will take longer. Due to the port volume that will be happening around Launch. Normally it takes about 1-2 hours but we know that this is not going to be a normal day in the Port Activation Center....:eek:

The information you got about 5 days is normally related to a new equipment order at the same time the port request is submitted. So that ends up being normally 3-5 business days. A landline (POTS) is always quoted as a minimum 5 completion. Your request will be faster since AT&T going to get instant confirmation response to the port request ( they are talking to AT&T ) :D

The porting process can started a couple of different ways:

1. In-store
    2. Online
    3. Call AT&T Port Activation Center - 888-898-7685

Here is a very handy FAQ that covers LNP and has the offical answers...:D
    http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/basics/transfer-number/porting-faqs.jsp

Dave

3. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

It is my understanding that you cannot port a GoPhone number to a regular contract. This was as of last summer. I'd call and speak to someone at AT&T.