Porting Phone Number from Verizon???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dmac77, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Hi,

My parents have agreed to get me an iPhone. The only issue is that we are on a family plan, and my parents want to stay with Verizon for their lines. So can my number and only my number be ported to AT&T, and at the same time my parents keep their Verizon lines without having to pay a termination fee for my line?

Sorry if this sounds confusing!

Don

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If your family is still under contract, and are reducing the number of lines agreed to in that contract (e.g. from 3 to 2) then you will have to pay an early termination fee.

You will, however, have no problem porting your number.

3. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Damn. That's what I was afraid of. Does anyone know how much that termination fee would be? would it be the full $175 termination fee or would it be reduced, because only one line is being terminated?

Thanks,

Don

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I believe Verizon's early termination fee is prorated based on the time left in the contract, however, I can't find it on their website.

5. MathiasMag macrumors member

$175 is per phone you got at a subsidized price. It is $175 - $5 per month you've had the phone under contract. How far are you from the end of the contract?

6. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Well, it can't be to much then. The contract ends on november 14. I've been counting since January 9, 2007.:D So that's 5 months. And the iPhone will most likely be purchased in early september.

Don

7. Pookieinc macrumors member

I believe that after a certain date, you have to pay the 175 dollars for early cancellation fee. I've tried, for the last week, to get out of my ETF's for Verizon, but I think come September, I'm gonna just pay it. They are all prorated, so we will only be spending 225 for three lines, but still... ugh. But yeah just call them and ask, they will tell you all the information on your account.

8. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Will have my parents do that. Just another reason to hate Verizon.

You won't believe this, but a while ago, we were having trouble with reception the city we live in, but anywhere outside of saline had reception. So we went to the Verizon store, and they told us that we couldn't get a signal because there were leaves on the trees.:eek::mad::confused:

Don

9. UCLAkers macrumors member

nope it wouldn't be the full $175 ETF. verizon as a prorated ETF that takes $5 off every month your most current contract has been in activation. as soon as my local apple stores here in LA restock, I'll be leaving verizon too. so my latest contract started april of 2007, which would make my ETF around $100 as of this month.

my question is though if I call verizon and end up getting my ETF waived, can I still port my # to AT&T having already left verizon, say the day before I were to go get the iphone? I would just bring my info into the apple store, not yet having discontinued with verizon, and just port my # over to AT&T right? and then afterward, verizon would mail me the final bill with the ETF being waived I presume?

any help is much appreciated!

10. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

This I know. DO NOT CANCEL WITH VERIZON UNTIL YOU HAVE ACTIVATED YOUR IPHONE!!!! If you cancel your plan before your iPhone gets activated you can't port your number. Because you need to own that number to port it. If you cancel with Verizon, before porting it, it becomes Verizon's number.

So in review:

1. Buy iPhone

2. Activate iPhone

3. Port existing Phone Number while activating iPhone. (Apple Store/ AT&T store will do this)

4. Call Verizon after iPhone is activated and verify that your contract has been terminated (it should auto terminate when you port the number)

5. Get final bill from Verizon and pay those stupid bastards and rid your life of them.

Don

11. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I've been dealing with both Verizon and AT&T over this issue, because I have an 11 year old phone number from a different region, and I still have 8 months left on my contract.

What I was told by Verizon was that since my contract is up in April, I would still owe $100 in ETF, but that it would continue to go down by $5 every month until it hits the minimum of $80. In other words, no matter how close to the end of my contract, I'll still pay $80 to end it early. That sucks, but it's better than the original $175. BTW, I was told this twice. I always get information from at least 2 different CSAs before I believe it.

As for porting a phone number, if you want to port, you have to go to an AT&T Corporate store, not the :apple: Store, and not a reseller or smaller store. Your number has to be active at the time of activation/portage. The corporate store will be able to port your number as you buy and activate the iPhone. Again, I confirmed this via phone and in person at an AT&T corporate store. If you're not sure which store is appropriate, just call customer service, and they'll give you a list near you.

Now that I've confirmed all of this, my only problem is that all of the AT&T stores in my area are out indefinitely. :(

12. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

well, because this is going to be such a long and complicated process, I'll just wait untill November when the contract is up so I avoid an $80 termination fee. Damn. And I might even get a new phone number, because if you spell out the last 4 numbers of my number, it spells fu(k. Pretty bad isn't it.

Don

13. UCLAkers macrumors member

this isn't true. the apple stores port #'s over as well. but I do hear that your service with your current carrier does have to be active during this process. I also know people who did it in-store at apple as well, for the 1st iphone and this one. and according to ppl on these boards, when you were asking about this in person at your AT&T store, it would've been foolish for them to tell you that you could port your # (and buy your iphone) at the apple store instead of theirs, based on the fact that they get commission from sales. so forget the AT&T stores and the wait, and just go to one of the many apple stores here in socal cause most of them are restocking every couple of days it seems. that's what I'm currently waiting for.

14. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

OK, I think that I'll just got to the :apple: store and find out if they can do that, and I'll also stop at my local verizon store and ask them what would happen.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Don

15. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I spoke to :apple: CSAs as well, and they told me that I would have to to through AT&T. Actually, what they told me was that they weren't sure my number could be ported. Maybe it's because I'm porting a number that's in a different region, like I said, but that's what I was told by everyone. Dunno.

16. ottergal macrumors member

You do have to be porting within in the same region.. for example I can't take a NY number to Seattle. But I do know that Apple can port your number - they did mine from TMobile when I activated on the 11th.

17. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Yeah, that's why I need to go to a corporate AT&T store. It sucks, but that's the price I pay for being able to keep the same number I've had for 11 years, through three states and countless moves. :)

18. ottergal macrumors member

Wow.. that's amazing that you've managed to hold on to it that long! I've had mine for as long, but have been in the same area so it's been easy.

Good luck and bummer on the AT&T wait.

19. UCLAkers macrumors member

oh ok yea, guess porting a # from a different region could be a problem. yea I've never heard of anyone having to do this. that'd suck if you couldn't. I think you'd end up being able to keep the same # in the end tho. best of luck!