Porting Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brendu, Oct 19, 2010.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

Hey everyone I searched MROOGLE but couldnt find a specific answer to my question.

I am part of a Sprint family plan right now and my lines contract is up in May '11. I am sick of the crap phones, not getting the new Pre is a joke so im pretty much through with them. After playing with an EVO for a few days its clear that android sucks and I dont want it.

Q: Can I port my current number to ATT even though my contract is not up? How would this work? Port, then cancel my line on my family plan? (with sprint the ETF is currently $80 and goes down $10 a month)...

Q2: for someone who will not be loading the iPhone with tons of music and videos but wants plenty of space for apps and some music (>1000 songs) is 16GB enough? Or is it really worth the extra hundred to get the 32GB? Since I am a teacher money is tight.

2. nivekr11 macrumors regular

Once you port a number, it will cancel the line with your previous carrier. then on your next bill from the old carrier, it will have an early termination fee.

I got a 32 gig phone because it's always better to have extra storage than not enough. I have about 1400 songs (8gig), 1.4 gig of app's, 4 gig's of photos that get synched from my laptop. If I did not have photos on my phone 16 gig's would be enough.

3. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

I do not plan on having photos on my phone, at least no more than 20 at any given time. I never use the camera on my other phones. I would have some contacts pics saved but thats trivial.

4. plusonechoi macrumors member

Don't touch your sprint line, just go to AT&T and port your number. The sprint line should be cancelled on its and the ETF should kick in.

As for 32gb vs 16gb, double the space for just $100. I went with the 32gb, plus apps and such will only be getting bigger IMO. And i'd rather have more space than not enough. If you ever did get to maxing out the phone, it will probably begin not running as smooth (which happened to my friend).